PDA

View Full Version : Error: Unable to launch browser to visit CarveWright.com

wacoustics
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I recently purchased the machine. The Welcome part comes up and when I try to click the button "Visit carvewright.com Now" to register my software, it throws the error "Unable to launch browser to visit CarveWright.com" immediately. Any other similar attempt that launches the browser also fails. I'm running Windows XP and have tried with both FireFox and IE.

Anyone else experienced a similar problem? I can't find a link to directly register the software anywhere on the main page. Really want this thing to work so I don't have to go searching for new versions of the software and firmware.

Sarge
02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Make sure you are connected to the Internet, with your explorer open. Then open the CarveWright Designer and continue. That should fix your problem. Don't forget to upgrade your software to v1.115, and plug in your memory card and upgrade it.

pkunk
02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Their server is really slow right now. I got it to launch, but it took awhile. Try it later, maybe they'll have it fixed.

wacoustics
02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I am connected to the internet and tried with the browser open as you suggested. Doesn't work. Seems from the message even if it wasn't open I'd expect it to try and launch a browser, but it doesn't. This doesn't appear to just be taking a long time... it looks like it doesn't even try.

Does anyone have a direct link that I might be able to use in the mean time?

BoardSilly
02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
ummmm, www.carvewright.com

Skyhawk
02-28-2007, 08:04 AM
You may want to try http://70.85.59.180 which would bypass any DNS server that might be having trouble...

wacoustics
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
ummmm, www.carvewright.com

Thanks, but really, I'm not that dumb. I couldn't find a link that allowed you to enter your activation ID and serial number to get the code. That's the piece I'm missing. This isn't really an issue with just not being able to get there... it's that the links are obsecured and the software won't even start the browser.

Jeff_Birt
02-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Make sure your default browser setting is correct. Poke around in the option of FF or IE and tell it to be the default, and then do the same on the other browser. That way you know it will get reset to one browser or the other.

wacoustics
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Browser settings are correct and I've tried with both IE as default and FireFox as default. This doesn't look to be a problem with default settings and I don't have any trouble opening the browser by hand and getting to http://www.carvewright.com.

Anything from the designer that tries to launch a web page just fails to even launch anything:

On the "Welcome" screen or the "Enter Upgrade Code..." menu item under help I get "Unable to launch browser to visit CarveWright.com."

On "Check for Updates..." under help I get "Browser reports error!"

On "Online Forum..." under help I get "Browser reports error!"

I'm going to give the main number a call and see if they have any suggestions too.

wacoustics
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
I have managed to solve my problem. Apparently they have hard coded c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe into the program and if it's not there then everything just fails. I have my particular machine set up to be installed on D: and so everything failed. They really should at least update their application to use the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe instead.

If others run into this problem the simple workaround is to copy the iexplore.exe into "c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\" which even if it's the only file there will get things to work.

menewfy
04-25-2007, 07:17 AM
thank you for this tip.

I have the same problem but I do not have a hard drive C only I:

can someone help me figure out a way to upgrade my firmware?

meat
04-26-2007, 09:06 PM
thank you for this tip.

I have the same problem but I do not have a hard drive C only I:

can someone help me figure out a way to upgrade my firmware?

I have managed to solve my problem. Apparently they have hard coded c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe into the program and if it's not there then everything just fails. I have my particular machine set up to be installed on D: and so everything failed. They really should at least update their application to use the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe instead.

If others run into this problem the simple workaround is to copy the iexplore.exe into "c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\" which even if it's the only file there will get things to work.

CW just needs to modify their software to launch the default browser.

Until then, you're going to have to install it exactly where CW says to install it otherwise you're not going to be able to connect throught the CW launcher.

Your pal,
Meat.

Cliff
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
I realize it is not used anymore but it still exist, the Autoexec.bat.

Has anyone tried adding the path command to widen the programs search.

path = d:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

or what ever drive it is located in.

menewfy
04-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I ended up going to my bro in laws who had C: drive as hard drive and updated it there.

thanks for the reply's

happy carving

meat
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I realize it is not used anymore but it still exist, the Autoexec.bat.

Has anyone tried adding the path command to widen the programs search.

path = d:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

or what ever drive it is located in.

If it's hardcoded the way posted above, that won't work.

Your pal,
Meat.

fwharris
02-06-2008, 09:51 PM
You might need to check to insure that IE is your default browser. If it is not Designer will give you the "browser error". i had this going on with mine and once i went into IE options and set IE and my default browser.. NO problems since....