PDA

View Full Version : mitering edges, including a hinge

karossii
09-23-2014, 01:05 AM
I am planning on making a fairly simple box. At least, it seems simple to me.

The pictures below are the front and back of a board I laid out to carve. The front simply uses a cut path and a 1/2" classic bit to make a decorative panel, the back has two rabbets which will allow the front and back panels to be glued in.

The front and back will be 1/2" boards which I carve, and the edges will be dadoed (is that the right term?) to 1/4" to fit in those rabbets and sit flush with the front and back. The end goal is to have these four boards as the sides and top, with a front and back panel permanently affixed; and one side hinged to open. It will look much like a thick picture, and the hinged side will more or less conceal a 'hidden' compartment.

On the back side of this project, to the right and left edge of each of the 4 pieces, I would like to add a 45 degree miter or bevel. I have seen several threads on locking miters, etc.; but I am not certain the best way to do this. And I am not looking to make a locking miter; I believe a simple 45 degree miter is enough for this.

I tried using the tilt 71875 tool on a rectangular carve region, and it did not work. I also tried using the extrude 71874 tool on a rectangular carve region, and again it did not work.

I think it may be because of the rabbets I have, because I know I have used both of those methods in the past to make theoretical projects (nothing I have ever carved, but it worked in designer before).

And finally, as mentioned, I would like to add a slot for small hinge on one of the miters in one of the longer boards and one of the shorter boards. Is there any good way to do this in designer? I don't yet have the hinge I will use, so can't give exact measurements - just looking to figure out some techniques right now.

DickB
09-23-2014, 09:01 AM
I carved mitered edges on parts for my Numechron clock. I used the extrude tool.

71876 71877

cestout
09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Great idea, that would even work for a locking miter. But if you make a pattern for it, watch out for that "Floor Feather" and uncheck it.
Clint

DickB
09-24-2014, 04:48 PM
A locking miter can be done - I fooled around with one some time ago - but you have to take into account the taper and ball end of the bit when you draw the extrude profiles. You can't make as nice of a locking miter as with a purpose-made router bit.

karossii
09-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I did try the extrude tool as well. It looks like it should work, but it doesn't actually make any visible changes to the board in designer once I hit apply. I finally just drew a straight line and applied the 90 degree V bit to it, and it seems to be working...

DickB
09-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Post that mpc that didn't work.