PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and easy scanning sled

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2007, 06:30 PM
I just got a probe and needed to make a sled. The manual suggests a laminated surface so that you can hot glue things down and clean it up, which made sense. I rememberd that I had a secton of counter top from a sink cut-out left by the previous owner of my house. I've seen these cut out pieces for sale at a local home center for $3-$4 each as well.

All the pieces came out of the sink cut-out. I used a router to remove the laminate from the edges of the base to leave a glue-able surface for the sides. The sides and base were joined with biscuts and glue. the side I wound up with about a 11.5" x 30" scanning surface with 2" sides.

Bill
02-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Nice idea,
I have seen these cut outs many times
now I will have to go back. Hope they have some now
when I need them. :)

pkunk
02-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Jeff, sorry to hear that you're out a machine at this time.:) I thought about making my sleds from sink cutouts but 2 things were against it. 1 was the length, and I wanted the ability to write on them for notes, gridlines, etc. Melamine works great for this, is erasable and cheap. Any one can get a piece or 2 from their local cabinet shop for nuttin'.

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I thought about carving a grid on the base before glueing on the sides. I don't think this is the ultimate sled but it was free :D The melamine is a great idea too, I buy some scraps from a local cabinet shop, I'll have to see if I can pick some up next time I'm out there.

As for the machine, It'll be here next week and I'll be back to carving.

SpiffyDog
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Check your local craft store (i.e., Hobby Lobby). They sometimes have the grid contact paper. Some even have measuring guides.

Jon Jantz
03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
You dirty dog!!! You got your probe!!! lol

Well, you don't have a machine to use it on, so maybe I have a small chance yet to beat you having an item scanned in........

I better get to building a sled so I can be ready...

Jeff_Birt
03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
OK, Jon. I got my new machine today and it is about 10% into its first carving. The next thing I am trying is scanning! Now to find something to scan.

Gman_Ind
05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Funny thing I tossed out (almost) all my sink cutouts and old melamine shelving, I guess I will actually have to either wait for the next job or buy something, depending on if I get my probe before I do another kitchen. :rolleyes:

hdultra
05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I've checked around some new home construction sites and the contractors here were willing to give the sink cutout pieces to who ever wants them.