PDA

View Full Version : 1000 hours

rmock
09-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Just turned 1000 hrs on our first machine, just want to say thanks to all the forum members for all of the help and insight, and shared knowledge, I have learned alot along the way from all of you.
Thanks
Rick Mock

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2014, 11:29 AM
GOOD JOB !!!

At just over 1000 I had to replace a cut motor as the copper commutator was getting worn smaller but I also snapped a wire off the Stator at the time too. It still worked but be on the lookout for a cut motor... I have bought some bad motors over the years just for the Rotor... hoping it was good... As thousands of machines age I would love to see LHR offer a ROTOR as a replacement part since it contains the bearings and wear parts...

2011 worn parts and a 2007 almost NEW rotor. In theory you can use the rotor until the copper wears down to the spacers between the copper slices. In my Navy days we had a jig to cut the spacer between the slices to get a little more use out of a 1960's motor or generator. I was on some OLD ships.

This post shows the importance of using the LHR Motor Brushes as not all brushes are the same and a harder carbon could grind down the copper faster and softer could let carbon dust cover the inside of the rotor area offering conductive material to produce heat and sometimes causes ARCING and hence MELTED Brush holders... We have seen a few of them posted here... Mostly due to worn short brushes.... That is why we recommmend changing the brushes at 250 cut hours.

OK.. I have taken this OFF track..... sorry... but RICK has done an EXCELLENT job maintaining the machine to reach 1000 hours.... And some of what I have posted above is WHAT he likely did to get to 1000 hours.... GOOD JOB !!!!

AL

rmock
10-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Al,
Great response, you are right on about the motors, I had just pulled the one on the old machine to check brushes and decided to open the case and sure enough it was pretty much worn out, I had noticed some grinding sounds from the motor on the last couple carves.(possible brush chatter) they were chipped up and the springs were broken. Ordered a couple new motors last week and just got the new one in today. your response most likely saved me some down time, thanks
Rick Mock

Digitalwoodshop
10-04-2014, 06:21 PM
A Man with a GOOD PLAN.... Good Job !!!

Happy Carving !!!

AL