PDA

View Full Version : Architechtual molding

Gman_Ind
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I ordered my machine this weekend and am anxiously awaiting it.
I want to reproduce some classic 3 1/4" crown molding. I wonder if the trim can be made in a timely fashion? it is linear profile, can I hog out the recess with a larger cutter and straightline the detail or will it cut across the grain the whole time? I only need about 14 feet total.

BobHill
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Mike,

If you use the machine with a router bit on a path, it should travel longitudinally the length of the board for each path. Path cuts are vector, carving is raster and lateral like a printer.

Bob

Navigator
03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
I have a similar interest in replicating crown mouldings only in reverse. Many older homes (75+years old) had plaster crown moulding. The only way to repair these after water damage is to make a cast of an undamaged section and then use the mold to cast new pieces. The CW with scan probe would permit making longer sections than may remain undamaged.

Now my question - Since there are many curves and swirls most often set on a concave or convex backgound to these mouldings, is there any advantage to plow cutting following a vector pattern and cleaning up the background vs using a raster side to side cutting technique. These patterns could be several feet long made from 20 lb high density foam. I understand that both will produce good results, rather, what are the reasons for chosing one over the other.

liquidguitars
03-24-2007, 11:01 PM
you will get it done a bit faster with plow cutting following a vector pattern but the setup time "programing" will take longer. For custom small jobs I would use rastor, and have some knifes made for the shaper for bigger jobs.

Lig

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 08:06 PM
We have like many others used scribed plywood 'knives' of plaster crown. Cheap, and effective, scribe a profile from a good section onto a 3/8" plywood scrap cut out profile with jig saw, sand it smooth and plaster the damaged spot and use your plyform to knife it to final shape.
Sorry no CNC needed for this old school method.
or You could scan it in with the probe to recreate the profile later?? I we could import from the card back to designer then we could edit the form for a new but similar profile for a smaller version for a smaller room like a bath VS a living room.