PDA

View Full Version : Recap of First Three days of Owning a Carvewright

Roy Fleshman
09-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Spoiler alert, I tend to ramble, but some of this may make you more eperienced members nod and smile.

Got the machine at 12:30 which was delivered to a business next to my shop about 30 minutes earlier. I had taken the day off my real job so I could get started. The business neighbor forgot to tell me it was in and it was only after I chased down the post man leaving our secure complex that I found out he delivered it. Unpacked, read the manual did all the safety and set up checks and started looking for that first piece to carve. I wanted to measure the robustness so I started with a piece of rock hard maple. See the Fleur-de-lis below, 18 minutes later, two hours after receiving the machine out it came. I was immensely impressed. This would have taken me ten hours to carve not to mention wear and tear on the elbows and shoulders from pounding. Spent some time uploading various software and other attachments like pattern editor centerline etc. Had to wait to do this because you need the serial number of the machine to get started. At least that is what I did.

Anyway. from there, did a number of carvings, six in all and made a few mistakes along the way. I have included them. Mainly they were due to not understanding the depth and height issue and the relationships with other carvings. Hand carvers don't worry about these things so much, you can do some things to balance them out as you go. Anyway, feathering also proved to a challenge didn't like what the initial cowboy boots carving produced. It was way too deep. I have always carved deep it is my favorite. but takes a lot of time and sometimes it is overkill. As I sat there trying to visualize what I was trying to do, my eyes drifted over to the side and I saw a dime. I picked it up and looked at the incredible detail that is found in less than a hair thickness. This helped me reset my brain and I proceeded from there. With some advice from here and poking around I was able to download a clash of clans character and convert it into a usable graphic. First attempt I accidentally inverted it. Still don't understood how. But I got a new appreciating for the rotate tool. It gives you some excellent visuals. Balancing depth and height continued to peobve a challenge but I eventually figured it out for now, with limited waste of wood. And I have plenty of wood. That is a basic recap, by the way I did all this with the 1/16 carving bit. It was the only one that made it to me so far. That and the 1/8 cutting bit. I have the router cutting bits but I will give them a work out later. Here are the results of the last three days. Thanks for all the help and positive comments.

Capt Bruce
09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the Forum Roy,

For your first three days of carving right out of the box I am very impressed with your quick understanding of all the aspects of both designing for and then carving with the CW. It took me months and months to get anywhere near what you've already done so we'll be looking forward to seeing some really creative work if you will keep on sharing. Someone once said you learn more from your mistakes than from your successes so you are learning like the rest of us. Besides we all need some kindling for the fireplace come winter. I always have a good supply on hand.

Great work and thanks for sharing these.

fwharris
09-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Roy,

By the looks of your carvings it seems you did a good job on studying up on some of the tutorials. Great job!

ktjwilliams
09-15-2014, 07:08 AM
This forum and the instructional videos and all the advice are very very helpful ... Not like the ole days when it was all trial and error ... look forward to seeing nice stuff from u in the future !!!

Bigtyme
09-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Well done, Roy. Great work for the first 3 days. I think you are certainly getting the hang of it. Stay close to this forum and the tutorials and you won't go wrong....

cestout
09-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Great Start! Expect to see some impressive stuff from you. Being a hand carver gives you a start on understanding the artistry.
Clint

Roy Fleshman
09-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words Clint. Being a hand carver you do learn a few things. A carving is never finished. At some point you are done. Also unless you are a serious named artist, the amount of time put into something will not make serious money. But artists are not in it for the money. Right? Ha ha