PDA

View Full Version : First Effort

Roy Fleshman
09-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Fellow Forum Members,
First of all thank you. I have been lurking here quite a while, reading and soaking it all in. That way I wouldn't ask that question which was answered on thread 23245. I know to some of the longer members that can get tedious. The information has been great and I took the plunge with the machine being delivered Friday afternoon. Less than 24 hours later I have my first completed piece. And one that is a paying gig. Although factor in the costs of wood, patterns, and my time as well as three attempts and I made around $2 an hour. Not that I plan on doing this for work. But it is always nice to get paid for a hobby. I have wanted one of these for a while I like to carve and what my mind wants doesn't mean the body can do. Some of the elder members know what I am talking about. So far this seems to fit a void.

I plan on participating on here more, now that I have a machine and can contribute. Both in examples of work/mistakes and dumb questions. Heck I might even answer a question or two.

Attached is my first carving as well as something I did with chisels and muscle a few years ago.
Your comments and input are appreciated.

Thanks

Roy
Sacramento, California
ww.woodflesh.com

blhutchens
09-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Nice job and welcome

Brent

CW-HAL9000
09-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Great first carve, Much better than mine years ago. I am really impressed with the hand carved piece, I have never attempted that and I sit in awe. Welcome aboard and many great carves.

Canemaker
09-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Impressed with your first attempts.... mine were just a simple pattern with no text... love the rope where did you find it?
Hand carving, what do you mean.. I thought everything was machine made! lol

Roy Fleshman
09-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks, when it comes to machine carving, this machine is worn out. I am good for about an hour a day. Any there were two ropes I found. The one I used was at the pattern depot https://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16636&cat=&page=3. The first one I found was a freebee posted by a member here http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?22325-Anybody-got-a-thinner-Rope-)&highlight=rope But it was too thin. I tried a few times to widen it and I am sure there is a way, but I am a woodworker not a graphic designer.

The I found

dbemus
09-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Roy,

Welcome to the forum and the CarveWright world. Clearly you are a talented wood craftsman! Great first project! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

dbemus