PDA

View Full Version : Designer 3.0 Help

ladjr
09-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Is it possible to turn the new materials (Like Concrete)

lynnfrwd
09-06-2014, 01:07 AM
I don't understand your question.

bergerud
09-06-2014, 03:45 AM

Since vector figures do not rotate, I think not. You can always make it a pattern and then rotate it.

ktjwilliams
09-06-2014, 06:35 AM
I think Dan is on the rite track ...

ladjr
09-06-2014, 11:51 AM
I was trying to make the grain run the other way

liquidguitars
09-06-2014, 11:10 PM
I think you can make a raster out of the texture then turn it.

ladjr
09-06-2014, 11:32 PM
I couldn't make a pattern of it, I will try and make a raster. I'm making a cane and I need the bark to run up the cane.

fwharris
09-06-2014, 11:40 PM
I thought that there was a way that we could add new materials into this collection. Was I hearing things wrong on this?

bergerud
09-07-2014, 03:04 AM
I believe you can only create and save new materials by altering the given materials. That would not really be adding new creations.

fwharris
09-07-2014, 11:37 AM
I believe you can only create and save new materials by altering the given materials. That would not really be adding new creations.

I guess I did hear the introduction wrong on this then. "A user-definable material texture generator, including a sample texture library." This is from the 3.0 description. The user definable sounded to me like the user could generate new material textures.

bergerud
09-08-2014, 01:28 AM
The description does sound like the user can add new materials but I do not think that it is really so. I think the materials are stored and inaccessible just like the surfaces and textures. The only thing I have been able to do is alter a sample material and then save it to the sample set. (That is more than can be done with the surfaces and textures.)

If there really is a way to add new materials, maybe they could tell us how to do it.

mtylerfl
09-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Well, you start by drawing a shape, click on the new orange-colored Select Material icon. This opens a Select Material window. Start with the default material, clone it, then customize it using the various tools (with names nobody understands).

It's a matter of experimentation and a little luck. Adjust the tools until you get the material texture appearance you like, then rename and save it. It's all "math generated" using the tools in the Select Material Window.

I just did a couple quick "wood grains" and added them to my Material Library. After placing the material/texture on your layout, you can adjust Height/Depth/Bit Optimization, as normal. See pics...

bergerud
09-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Show me some bricks! What you are doing is only tweaking the samples given. Adding really new materials seems not possible.

(It looks like the beta you are using has only the default material. Something may be amiss here. The release version has a whole pile more materials.)

mtylerfl
09-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Show me some bricks! What you are doing is only tweaking the samples given. Adding really new materials seems not possible.(It looks like the beta you are using has only the default material. Something may be amiss here. The release version has a whole pile more materials.)

Yes, did quickie examples - all I had time for right now - preparing for 2 conferences. Opened beta - release version is on another computer. You can alter existing material samples only to create your own versions to add to your choice of selections!

RMarkey
09-09-2014, 03:59 PM
All materials are generated using the sliders and tools in the "select material" window. There are millions of combinations - each is a 'new' material.

SteveNelson46
09-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Leo,

These examples are both clones of "Concrete" with the settings changed for grain direction.

ladjr
09-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks Steve. It was right in front of me.
The V ertical, H orizon key.