PDA

View Full Version : Path offset problem or is it me.

myshop1044
09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I have put this problem out here a while back and did not get much comments on the subject.
I would like for someone in the software depart from LHR to respond to the attached problem. I need to use this layout
in a stair step project.
As I stated in the pass it happen in 187 and 3.0
If you put any other corners such as, outside corners, diagonal corners, the process works fine.
please see attached.
Any reason or possible correction would be great.

Perry B.
START U member

aokweld101
09-05-2014, 05:53 PM
I was playing with this and put a .25 grid and made the offsets to the outside and cornered it and this is what I come up with.

myshop1044
09-05-2014, 06:58 PM
I looked at yours and I noticed you have some small arcs and straight lines in the four corners, where as mine, the arcs were formed by taking the diagonal corners
and doing a form arcs then I tried the path offset process .

bergerud
09-05-2014, 07:43 PM
As I said before, this is simply a poor algorithm. Sweeping a normal vector instead of calculating the envelope of a sweeping circle. It amounts to a math mistake. I think that to fix it properly would require completely rewriting the code.

I doubt anyone from LHR will respond Perry. I remember complaining about this before and got no response.

In fact, it should screw up more than it does. Some extra code must have been written to correct the overlap problem at corners. It seems to just not work at the spot where the calculation starts and ends.

myshop1044
09-05-2014, 08:33 PM
you are correct, I remember your comments, I was just trying to see if a product they created would work all the way.
I do have a work around for now, but just wishing.

mtylerfl
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Hi Perry,

I don't know what your workaround is (draw a new internal vector manually?), but here's one I did.

1) Created a Carve Region using your original vector shape (and deleted the failed offset internal vector)
2) Then selected your vector, used the Outline Tool to create a NEW vector and deleted your original
3) I then turned off the Carve Region and kept the new vector selected
4) Used the Path Offset to make the 1" offset internal vector

Hopefully, on those rare occasions where the offset misbehaves, this method will be helpful.

myshop1044
09-06-2014, 10:49 AM
My version for the test, I just redrew each layer and then I had to draw the out line for the cut path from scratch.
I think it came out really good, good to know the basics.

Perry B.