PDA

View Full Version : Z Roller Bearing loose

DianMayfield
09-02-2014, 11:54 PM
I was watching a cut out, and noticed that the head seemed to be flexing as it turned a corner. 1/4 in mdf on a sled.

Found that the top left bearing screw spun in it's hole. If I put pressure on the inner portion of the bearing, it becomes hard to turn, but does not tighten (or loosen). Seems like the inner portion of the bearing separated from the outer roller. Of course, it is not the adjustable side.

Does anyone know if the bearing did indeed separate, or can it be repaired by drilling out the screw and putting in a new one?

Ver C -137 Hrs on the cut motor, 148 on the servo.

This is a love hate relationship to be sure :)

unitedcases
09-03-2014, 05:42 AM
I was watching a cut out, and noticed that the head seemed to be flexing as it turned a corner. 1/4 in mdf on a sled.

Found that the top left bearing screw spun in it's hole. If I put pressure on the inner portion of the bearing, it becomes hard to turn, but does not tighten (or loosen). Seems like the inner portion of the bearing separated from the outer roller. Of course, it is not the adjustable side.

Does anyone know if the bearing did indeed separate, or can it be repaired by drilling out the screw and putting in a new one?

Ver C -137 Hrs on the cut motor, 148 on the servo.

This is a love hate relationship to be sure :)
Can you post a picture? If the bearing did indeed separate then sounds like you need a new bearing? I'm guessing without seeing it. It is a good idea to keep an extra bearing or two on hand.

DianMayfield
09-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Photo won't work, looks just like the other...video, now that would show the problem.

unitedcases
09-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Photo won't work, looks just like the other...video, now that would show the problem.
Are your adjustable bearings adjusted correctly? Something sounds off.

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
In the early years one of my Z Bearings got loose and I tried to hold the nut with a scribe to tighten... I ripped the dust cover off the bearing. The only way to tighten the non adjustable bearing is to remove the truck.

AL

Pictures from 2007 and dated information. Also the truck no longer has that circuit board in it. It was for another speed sensor, sensor data, Z homing Switch and went away with the new 14 pin FFC Cable.

DianMayfield
09-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Thank you Al, the pictures will be very helpful. I have read the bearing PDF 4 times, and this clears up a few things :).

I spoke with LHR yesterday, and they are pretty sure the adjustment bearing is the one that is loose, a wrench is on it's way - good call UC!

Can I say that LHR needs to work out a few things on their shipping? That wrench, which probably only weighs ounces, is costing $42 to overnight. I should have just ground down one of my husbands wrenches! There are probably dozens of their items that will fit in a flat $22 dollar UPS envelope. Just saying :)

CW-HAL9000
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
wow, you spent $42 to overnight the wrench? I have always complained about the shipping at LHR, while other companies from Rockler to Amazon are pushing free shipping some companies continue to make a bigger profit on shipping than the profit on the items they sell. The new thought on rationing brushes really forces customers to pay more for shipping than the item they are buying. Flat rate priority express (overnight) is even cheaper than the $22 for UPS.

DianMayfield
09-06-2014, 11:29 AM
She is back up and running. I would like to share a cautionary tale. I told the young man at LHR that the left bearing wobbled, as in the screw in front moved when you rocked the bearing. He still insisted that the right nut just needed to be tightened.

My husband, a handy guy, just didn't believe that so he called. The young man went to talk to an engineer and came back with the same answer.

When we took it apart, there were 3 bearings that indicated internal wear. If you have ever heard it, you know what I mean. Logic said that if you have to drill out the screw and put a new one in to tighten it, you were going to need bearings too. If I hadn't thrown them in the order, I would have been down for another 5-6 days - given the weekend.

So I say, go with your gut. Talk to someone that will listen to what your core issue is, not give you a canned answer. Love the machine - not so impressed with the front end tech support guy.

Digitalwoodshop
09-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Good Job !!!! And for others, remember the screws are metric.

AL