PDA

View Full Version : Using CW as jointer

cajunpen
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I know that the CW is capable of edge jointing a board - has anyone tried it yet, and if so were the results satisfactory?

I know that someone is going to jump in to tell me that a jointer is better and faster - I know that, but I don't own a jointer:D

Most of what I will want to joint is 24-36" long boards to make up material to carve. Thanks in advance for any help.

jimmars
02-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I've had very good results Jointing boards with the CW. I've been using a 3/8" Straight cutting bit with 1/2" shank, jointing 36" MDF boards. No Problems !!!

Dan-Woodman
02-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Yep-- works very well, but slow , it only 1/64" at a time .

benluz
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Yep-- works very well, but slow , it only 1/64" at a time .

The Carvewright would not staighten anything with much curve to the edge ,the fence/guide is to short so it would tend to follow the curve as opposed to taking it out, just like small joiners and long stock same problem 6ft bed is about the smallest you can use in a cabinet shop, unless you use a jig on the table saw go get the curve out, then joint to get a perfect glue edge.
thanks,
Ben

cajunpen
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Most of what I do is small projects, boxes, clocks, etc. so it may work for me. I may bite the bullet and buy a jointer.

cajunpen
02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I tried using the CW for jointing a couple of boards - the first passes on each edge were great - I tried to make a third pass and it got to just about the center (of the length) of the board and stopped - like it thought it was finished. Any ideas? I tried shutting down and reloading the board from the beginning, but got the same results.

Looks like if I can get it to make all of the necessary passes I will be able to save myself the cost of a jointer - but only if it will complete the jointing operation:confused: