PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice On A Crib....

cnsranch
08-30-2014, 02:56 PM
First Grandchild coming in December (I'm only 30) and as you might imagine I've been recruited to build her crib.

What's attached is a style my D'In Law likes, so that's where I'm starting.

One change I'm going to make is to beef up the legs by laminating 3/4" stock to 2 1/4" thick.

I can laminate them and then cut on the bandsaw, or I can cut them all on the CW and then laminate them together.

Do you all think that the cut-outs performed by the machine will be clean/close enough that when I laminate them they can be cleaned up to match?

Too bad I can't cut thru 2 1/4" stock.......I'm concerned that my bandsaw/sanding skills aren't good enough to get clean, straight lines, etc.

aokweld101
08-30-2014, 05:07 PM
I would think that you could do it on the carvewright, but I would also think that 2.25 on the legs is to much two .75 boards laminated is as thick as a 2x4, I would cut them out, stack four of them together and sand the edges, Personally, I would use a band saw for as thick as I wanted the wood legs... Keep us updated as to how you attack it...

RogerB
08-31-2014, 06:16 AM
Jerry you can use your CW to make jig's. This will let you cut out on the bandsaw and use a flush bit with a hand router.

blhutchens
08-31-2014, 07:42 AM
I have done some thicker stock and just used CW to outline the pattern on the thick stock by assigning an 1/8 in straight bit to it and cutting a shallow path.
Used the band saw to cut it out and had a good line to follow.
The router and jig method works well just takes longer and you need a long flush cut strait bit in a plunge router.
your call but the band saw is much faster than the CW on cut outs