PDA

View Full Version : Cutting copper

jkbogi
08-30-2014, 12:35 PM
I am making a carousel and need to make a rotating connector plate to get electricity from the stationary bottom to the rotating top. I wanted to attach a thin piece of copper to wood and cut it to the shape in the attached file using the 1/8" cutting bit. Can the Carvewright cut copper?

James RS
08-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Maybe use pcp circuit board blank

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
As the Robot on the 60's TV program Lost in Space would say.... DANGER young Will Robinson.... DANGER.."

Cutting copper is NOT Recommended...

1. The feed rate is set for wood and will be too fast for coppper even thin copper...

2. The conductive copper chips and dust... It can get into areas of the machine like the Circuit Boards like the Power Supply, X Termination board, Servo Encoders, and COMPUTER... and cause serious problems..... See a picture of the computer that went "Black Screen of Death" and was found with SAWDUST INSIDE.... Imagine if that was copper dust....

3. Likely something will SNAP.... eiter the cutting bit, Z Truck, Gears or even burn out the Servo Driver inside the computer....

So it is my recommendation that you not cut copper.....

You Could cut a template with the CW and use a FLUSH CUTTING Router bit in a Router Table to cut the copper.... BUT be aware some Routers are OPEN and SUCK AIR from the BIT END and could suck in the copper dust.... Making the router a SHOCK HAZARD...

AL

Picture 4 shows the 3 Servo Drivers.

jkbogi
08-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks. I had not considered the dust getting into the mechanism. I was only thinking about the bit going through the copper plate. What you said really makes a bunch of sense. Back to the drawing board for another mefhod of making what I want.