PDA

View Full Version : Patterns Authoring Question

sstouk
08-30-2014, 10:15 AM
I am trying to find a reference or a document on how Pattern Authoring works within the CarveWright Design Editor.

I did not buy any patterns from Pattern Depot but tried to group multiple patterns created by someone else into a pattern so it is easier to re-use the combined grouped elements and the software did not let me do it giving an error message that the pattern inside the group are "authored" by someone else.

Here's the brief description support provided regarding this:

"...Patterns that were created and sold on the PatternDepot are "authored" by someone else and licensed. You cannot share those patterns, share projects using those patterns or use them to create new patterns. Also, you cannot use Pattern Editor to edit these patterns. Nor can you use the outline of an authored pattern."...

Does this mean that any pattern I create are Automatically "licensed" or are they just "authored"?

What is the difference between "authored" and "licensed" patterns from the Support reply provided above?

Thank you.

edsingletary
08-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Good question. I'd like to see that myself.

fwharris
08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
I am trying to find a reference or a document on how Pattern Authoring works within the CarveWright Design Editor.

I did not buy any patterns from Pattern Depot but tried to group multiple patterns created by someone else into a pattern so it is easier to re-use the combined grouped elements and the software did not let me do it giving an error message that the pattern inside the group are "authored" by someone else.

Here's the brief description support provided regarding this:

"...Patterns that were created and sold on the PatternDepot are "authored" by someone else and licensed. You cannot share those patterns, share projects using those patterns or use them to create new patterns. Also, you cannot use Pattern Editor to edit these patterns. Nor can you use the outline of an authored pattern."...

Does this mean that any pattern I create are Automatically "licensed" or are they just "authored"?

What is the difference between "authored" and "licensed" patterns from the Support reply provided above?

Thank you.

When a pattern is created there is some type of "identifier" attached to the file that is picked up from the "authors" designer software license. This "identifier" tells others designer software that it was not created by them and prevents them from being able to modify or group with other patterns to make a new pattern.

The "license" is when a pattern is submitted to the CarveWright Depot to be sold. The pattern is given a second ID number when it is being submitted/uploaded to the depot. You will notice that when you purchase these patterns and download them they are a number and not the actual name description of the pattern. This license is what prevents the pattern from being freely shared with others.

cestout
08-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Patterns sold in the LHR Pattern Store are all Authored by some one, and to use them you need a license. Patterns shared on the forum or soled by other carver on their web sites are Authored by someone but you don't need a license. You can share them or give them away but you won't because that would be illegal and immoral. You can only mess with patterns that you created.
Clint