PDA

View Full Version : architectural

jpaluck
08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Found this free pattern online so cant take credit for the modeling. Was fun to study the wireframes and figure out how someone made this. This file was HUGE when subdivided so was hard to convert to a good .stl file from .obj. It kept crashing Aspire so had to lower the subdivision in Zbrush with decimination master. Looks like it will carve good. The depth map render is high subdivide but it would but was too big for .stl Not for e-bay re-sale

fwharris
08-29-2014, 09:42 PM
John,

Nice job converting it.

henry1
08-30-2014, 05:14 AM
Nice one John remind me of the German design

CW-HAL9000
08-30-2014, 09:44 AM
That has a beautiful intricate design.

mtylerfl
08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Found this free pattern online so cant take credit for the modeling. Was fun to study the wireframes and figure out how someone made this. This file was HUGE when subdivided so was hard to convert to a good .stl file from .obj. It kept crashing Aspire so had to lower the subdivision in Zbrush with decimination master. Looks like it will carve good. The depth map render is high subdivide but it would but was too big for .stl Not for e-bay re-sale

Nice job, John! Which version of Aspire are you using...is it the most current one? How much RAM on the computer you were using when importing that model into Aspire?

jpaluck
08-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Hey Michael,

Aspire 4.5.Not my computer..12 gig ram...not worried about it crashing. The file was HUGE like 600mb. It crashed zbrush a couple times but finaly exported. I'm sure you know if it can crash Zbrush it's big lol.

want2b
08-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Really a great pattern, glad to see you're still active here on the forum. Many of us appreciate your talents and willingness to share.
Thx for the pattern,
Rick H

mtylerfl
08-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Hey Michael,

Aspire 4.5.Not my computer..12 gig ram...not worried about it crashing. The file was HUGE like 600mb. It crashed zbrush a couple times but finaly exported. I'm sure you know if it can crash Zbrush it's big lol.

Yep...that was a BIG file! Thankfully, we are seeing more 'adaptive mesh' being used by 3D modeling/mesh software. Keeps the mesh small where it needs to be (for detail) and allows a larger mesh for smoother, less detailed areas of a model. The free Sculptris was an early example using that technique, with the goal in mind of keeping the final overall file size more manageable!

jpaluck
08-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah..this had so many pieces. The straights on the frame are very low but the other stuff..man there was a lot of it and when crank up the SD to get a carveable model it got huge. Decimination master in Zbrush usually works VERY well. I have taken models with like 12mil polys and brought down to 500k with losing zero detail...lol not this one

eelamb
08-30-2014, 07:20 PM
A really nice one John, and beautiful too boot.

jpaluck
08-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Example of decimination master on a "normal" poly count - start very low while modeling ( only way to model) and then crank up the subdivisions before convert to .stl. While cranked up I usually lower the poly count with decimination master before the conversion. It loses almost no detail and you can control the amount of reduction very well.

Fun to model again..figuring out how to model twists and such...very fast with quads

Thanks Eddie..not my model just a free one I was playing around with

peep
10-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Wow! Now that a nice find and conversion