PDA

View Full Version : SEPTEMBER 2014 Project of the Month - The Wise Owl Pencil Holder

mtylerfl
08-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Hello,

The Wise Owl Pencil Holder is a handy “back-to-school” project you can use year ‘round! The adorable owl design makes a charming storage container for pencils, markers and pens. You can easily complete this project with your CarveWright machine over a weekend. The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit.

The sample shown is finished with a stain -glazing technique, but you may opt for a colorful painted finish instead (it would be fun to let kids paint their own!).

The overall dimensions of the finished Owl Pencil Holder Project are approximately 5.5" W x 5.25" T x 3" D.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Owl_Pencil_Holder.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
0.75" x 9" x 26"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) Sandpaper, clamps, wood glue, stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used:

• Two light coats of thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded between coats with very fine sandpaper

• Two coats full-strength Bulls Eye SealCoat

• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Golden Mahogany (applied as a glaze over the sealed wood)
NOTE: Learn about the stain-glazing technique from the following Tips & Tricks article: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Aug_Sept10.pdf

• Several coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

cestout
08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
very nice MT - but I am no longer a POM member and I don't really need the pencil holder, but I do need the pattern for Christmas present book ends ( 2 grand kids over 18 now, only have to do 9 presents this year). Is the pattern on your web site? I did clock pencil holders 2 years ago. Coming up with new ideas every year is difficult. To all others, if your are a new project developer or not a project developer - do the POM thing. You can learn a lot and get some neat stuff.
Clint

farmer
08-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Great project MT!

rcdages
08-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Great job Michael

mtylerfl
08-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys! My wife requested that I create this project, as she was tired of stowing our pens/pencils in an old coffee mug! She thought the Wise Owl theme would be cute and it was a lot of fun for me to create the model and carve it. (She has a couple more requests for projects, so naturally I will be obliged to create them!)

mtylerfl
08-28-2014, 07:40 AM
very nice MT - but I am no longer a POM member and I don't really need the pencil holder, but I do need the pattern for Christmas present book ends ( 2 grand kids over 18 now, only have to do 9 presents this year). Is the pattern on your web site? I did clock pencil holders 2 years ago. Coming up with new ideas every year is difficult. To all others, if your are a new project developer or not a project developer - do the POM thing. You can learn a lot and get some neat stuff.Clint

Hi Clint,

Thank you! Yes, we all need to start thinking about those Christmas gift projects for sure! I don't have a pattern for Christmas present bookends...I did create the Stallion Bookend Project (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20978&cat=&page=1) about four years ago, but that was the only bookend project I've posted.

I did a search on the Pattern Depot but could not find any Christmas present patterns.

cestout
08-28-2014, 10:32 AM
MT, I just need that owl. I have one (front and back) from the store, but with no horns. BTW, I have a nice owl for rotary carve. It sits on a log. I suppose I could perch 2 of them mirrored on each book end.
Clint

dltccf
08-28-2014, 11:31 AM
MT, I just need that owl. I have one (front and back) from the store, but with no horns. BTW, I have a nice owl for rotary carve. It sits on a log. I suppose I could perch 2 of them mirrored on each book end.
Clint

I would interested in the owl for rotary carve.

dave

lynnfrwd
08-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Sounds like they want you to make just the owl a pattern for the store, Michael.

mtylerfl
08-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Clint

Ahhh...I completely misunderstood (I thought you needed a 'gift-wrapped-Christmas package' pattern). Duh!

I think they will be posting the POM in the store for purchase pretty soon. You could snag the patterns of the owl from the project itself.

mtylerfl
08-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Clint

Hi Clint,

I went ahead and submitted both the Owl front and back patterns. I believe new pattern submissions are posted once or twice a week, so it might be the end of next week before they are "live" at the store. The names of the patterns are:

Owl_FRONT55x52.ptn
Owl_BACK55x52.ptn

cestout
08-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Thank you MT.