PDA

View Full Version : Bass wood

myshop1044
08-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Does anybody have experience carving bass wood, if so how does carve?

Perry B.

Geomoo1
08-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Perry,
Enjoyed meeting you last week and discussing the litho light boxes. I have never used basswood myself, but It is prized by carvers because it is a soft wood with little grain. I did find this as far as machining goes...

Machining Basswood:
Basswood is extremely easy to cut with both hand and machine tools. It carves very easily both with and across the grain. It does tend to burn, if your router bits are dull or you move too slowly, but the marks do sand off fairly easily.
It is "kind" to all cutting edges and can be nailed without predrilling. It has enough structural integrity to allow for intricate designs and is very dimensionally stable so it holds its shape. It turns easily, but you must work your way down the sand paper grit line to effectively eliminate the scratches. It glues well.

myshop1044
08-23-2014, 06:46 AM
I too enjoyed the meeting with you, you gave me some good insight on the litho boxes and the components .
The reason I was inquiring about bass wood is I saw some in the Hobby Lobby store and it looked very good to carve at a reasonable price. They also had a web site attached, so I checked it out and they have a good selection of stock, even log slices.
I am waiting to here from them on the prices of the log slices.
If anyone wants to check them out the web site is www.basswoodman.com
Perry B.

CW-HAL9000
08-24-2014, 04:02 AM
I use the log slices a lot. I carve religious icons and crosses on them and sell a lot at fairs and flea markets. I always wait until they have a fifty percent off sale and then I hit several of the stores and buy them out. They carve well but be careful staining as they will soak up stain quick and be blotchy if you are not careful.

myshop1044
08-24-2014, 08:35 AM
CW HAL9000, could post some of you projects for me to take a look at and get some ideas.
thanks

Perry B.

CW-HAL9000
08-25-2014, 01:11 AM
I am out of town a few days when I get back I will.

cestout
08-26-2014, 06:43 PM
I trtied bass wood because that is what we used in wood shop back in Warwick RI in the 50's. Disappointing. Poplar is cheaper and carves much better in my opinion.
Clint

CW-HAL9000
08-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Here are some pics, although staining is tricky, I like basswood rounds alot. Funny I bought poplar one time from Home Depot and found it too soft and it had too much fuzzys when carved, I did not like it. But I have heard that depending on the region it was harvested that it can be different.

71327 71326 71328

cestout
08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Use 180 grit mop on your poplar and it looks great. I get mine from a hardwood lumber yard for about half what HD sells it for, but only 1 edge is finished and it is 25/32 not 3/4.
Clint

myshop1044
09-05-2014, 10:24 AM
CW HAL9000, thanks for the pictures, they look great, I found one of my vendor friends at the last show I went to and he does all of his laser printing on only bass wood and they look great. I contacted the fellow that sell the oval bass wood and placed an order with him and we will see how it turns out for me.
Perry B.

papawbummie
09-05-2014, 08:56 PM
How do I make a plug with taper like cone shape. .75 top 1.25 bottom Using one inch board to cut it from. Thanks Bert