PDA

View Full Version : many hour C machine wants unlock code?

cestout
08-17-2014, 07:13 PM
My C machine just asked for the unlock code. It has maybe 400 hours, I haven't checked lately. I used it Friday and went to use it today and couldn't. I started the carve in my B machine until I figured it out. I found the code in my license files on the website - in case this ever happens to you. Why would this happen? Powered down since I took the piece out Friday.
Clint

Geomoo1
08-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Clint, I can't tell you why this happens, but mine just recently did the same thing (low hours on machine). The thing is when I input the code it didn't accept it and kept asking for unlock code. I ended up shipping the CPU back for testing and they found nothing wrong. When I got the parts back and re-assembled the machine it worked fine. So, I was out shipping and testing fees for what amounted to nothing. This is getting a little too expensive for me.

Dale
08-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Every once in a great while mine will do the same thing. It will ask for it two or three then I can go months without it happening again. I just keep the unlock code by the machine.

TerryT
08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
This may not have anything to do with it, but....
I have an old 07 model A that works fine as long as it doesn't get unplugged. For some reason I can shut the power switch off time after time but if it is unplugged it will loose some user settings and have to be reset. It is too old to have the unlock code but, maybe it could be the same type of issue. If your issue happens when the machine is unplugged it may help locate the problem.

Digitalwoodshop
08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Could be.... dust inside the CPU....

Wild AL Guess...

AL

CW-HAL9000
08-18-2014, 11:21 AM
My C machine does that every 4 or 5 months it will just ask for the code. I keep it next to the machine for just that reason.

DocWheeler
08-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks for starting this thread.
Not sure why the code is necessary, are machines being stolen?
Sure hope my machine doesn't ask me for the code, I have no idea what it is.

tcough3475
08-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Like HAL9000, I wrote the code on a piece of tape next to the keypad. I must enter it about once a month for some reason (C machine). Never thought about what causes it, but will pay attention next time I unplug it.

chief2007
08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
I found this occurs when there is a slight static charge to the machine. It could happen when clean the machine via a shop vac or even through the dust collection system if the dust collection system not grounded properly.
It only takes a slight static charge to do it.

I have had this happen once or twice so I placed a label with the unlock code on the machine to keep it handy in the event it might happen again.

cestout
08-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Ken, the code can't be for theft protection because, theoretical, once entered the machine is unlocked. I don't know how you would intentionally re-lock it. I unplug my machines and most of my other tools every couple of months so I can roll them into the driveway to blow the shop out. (BTW, why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?)
Clint

FWMiller
08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Did its introduction coincide with moving manufacturing to China? Maybe it's an anti counterfeiting measure?

mikemi
08-18-2014, 07:31 PM
So where does one find the unlock code if it happens? I have no idea what mine is.

Mike

CW-HAL9000
08-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Log into your customer account on the main carvewright page. (link is at the bottom of web page). Your unlock code will show there.

mikemi
08-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Log into your customer account on the main carvewright page. (link is at the bottom of web page). Your unlock code will show there.

Thanks a lot Hal. I have been on my account page many times, but just didn't notice the unlock code.

Mike

CW-HAL9000
08-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks a lot Hal. I have been on my account page many times, but just didn't notice the unlock code.

Mike

Your Welcome.

RMarkey
08-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Unlock codes were introduced in C machines - A's and B's do not use them.

Settings such as whether the machine has been unlocked or not are stored in an EEPROM which can fail on occasions due to the nature of writing to the device. Reading can fail in the same way. It has nothing to do with manufacturing or whether power is left attached to the machine.

It fails in the same way an SD card or USB stick fails. Unlike those devices, the controller has built-in defaults which are used when reading fails, so this becomes an annoyance rather than a show-stopper.

Until you get locked out. In that case, I can send you a file which re-writes the unlock code.

SteveEJ
08-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the explanation but you never said why it is there. Are the machines purchased or licensed? If purchased there is no need for a lock code. JMHO although very interested in the response.

rflournoy
08-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Unlock codes were introduced in C machines - A's and B's do not use them.

Settings such as whether the machine has been unlocked or not are stored in an EEPROM which can fail on occasions due to the nature of writing to the device. Reading can fail in the same way. It has nothing to do with manufacturing or whether power is left attached to the machine.

It fails in the same way an SD card or USB stick fails. Unlike those devices, the controller has built-in defaults which are used when reading fails, so this becomes an annoyance rather than a show-stopper.

Until you get locked out. In that case, I can send you a file which re-writes the unlock code.

My machine is asking for my unlock code but won't accept it when I input it. Can you send the file to re-write it please? thank you.

Digitalwoodshop
08-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Off topic but a little insite... About 14 years ago, Sony lost a train car load of Play Station 2's near Chicago when a gang with inside Railroad info hopped the car on a hill and miles later tossed boxes of PS2's to waiting guys... Was a Dateline story about it once... When I worked at the Philly Sony service center 12 years ago fixing them..... We saw the PS2 was on the list but for PR reasons fixed them under warranty and said nothing. A unlock code was tossed around as a fix for non retail sales.... It would just require the user to register the unit with Sony.

Could be some of the thinking behind the unlock code... Plus Warranty time tracking... Lots of good reasons on the maker's side if you look at it from the LHR side.

Not a good time before a big weekend to be down....

AL

cnsranch
08-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Mine went into demo mode quite a while back, and it turned out to be a Windows update that messed it up. Did a System restore to an earlier date and it took care of the problem.

Worth a try.

08-31-2014, 01:17 PM
I know that you can intentionally relock the machine (requiring the code be put in again) by pulling the memory card out and THEN turning off the machine. Don't ask me how I know this...

Digitalwoodshop
08-31-2014, 01:21 PM
I know that you can intentionally relock the machine (requiring the code be put in again) by pulling the memory card out and THEN turning off the machine. Don't ask me how I know this...

THAT is very interesting.... I wonder IF this is the source of the fault for a few of the guys posting about the reset code...? Pulling the card on a powered ON machine..:idea::razz::idea:

AL

lynnfrwd
08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Ummm, might fry something. Don't do it...

Digitalwoodshop
08-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Ummm, might fry something. Don't do it...

I would ask someone asking for a unlock code if they pulled the card with the power on? Could be the source of the problem and yes, I would not recommend pulling the card with the power on.... Like pulling you computer microprocessor or RAM while the computer is running.... not a good idea...

AL

WRW
09-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Al
I have had this same problem with my C machine several times and it now happens every time the machine is shut off, which I do after useing at all times. The last 4 times I have shut it off it has asked for the code on start up. I work in the IT field and would never pull or plugin a card when it is powered on.
Have a great day.

RMarkey
09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Pulling/plugging in the card has nothing to do with the unlock code request. It has to do with memory internal to the controller. I take it you can still use the same unlock code?