PDA

View Full Version : I just want to cut out shapes

Rocky
08-17-2014, 05:17 AM
I've been asked by our church to cut out a number of angels from sheets of 1/8" birch plywood. I have at least 3 issues to resolve.

1. How do I just cut out the shape without without the bit carving (touching) any part of the shape?

2. How to secure 1/8" plywood? (I'm thinking of using carpet tape and attaching plywood to a 1'2" carrier board).

3. I don't want any of the little tabs on a cutout if possible.

Thanks, folks.

blhutchens
08-17-2014, 06:22 AM
1. If you are cutting out the outline of a pattern. Put the pattern on a 14.5in board in designer and make it as large as you can. then "outline", delete the pattern. can now scale it, copy, etc….. select and cut path
2. I have stacked the 1/8 up 4 high with double sticky tape in between and cut out. set the tabs to lowest height and cut out
3. The only tabs will be on the bottom cutout.

Brent

SteveNelson46
08-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I've been asked by our church to cut out a number of angels from sheets of 1/8" birch plywood. I have at least 3 issues to resolve.

1. How do I just cut out the shape without without the bit carving (touching) any part of the shape?

2. How to secure 1/8" plywood? (I'm thinking of using carpet tape and attaching plywood to a 1'2" carrier board).

3. I don't want any of the little tabs on a cutout if possible.

Thanks, folks.

Rocky,

Using a 1/2" carrier board is usually the best way and it's my method also. Instead of using carpet tape I use "Turners Tape". There are 2 different types, permanent and removable. I use the permanent. It's a little harder to separate the pieces but, holds better during the carving.

In Designer, place your pattern(s) on the board and arrange them to get the most yield. You can even rotate them using the "Angle" box on the toolbar. Next, select the ones you want to cutout by holding down the control key and clicking the left mouse button on each. Then, from the "Tools" menu, select" Outline Pattern(s)." Then delete the patterns leaving the outlines.

There are two methods for doing cutouts. The first method is to use the "Cut Path " tool. Select All of the outlines and then select "Cut Path" from the tools menu. In the cut path dialogue box set the tab settings and click on "Accept".

The second method for doing cutouts is to assign a bit to the outlines at a depth that will go all the way through the board. This will work well in your case as long as each cutout is secured to the carrier board with tape. Select them and then select "Assign Bit" from the tools menu. Select the 1/8" cutting bit and set the depth to a little deeper than the thickness of the board (.128?). Be sure to set the "Inset" to -(minus) .063. That will compensate for the radius of the bit so it cuts on the outside of the line.

Rocky
08-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks, folks. I really appreciate the help. Steve, on the first method, since one can't set depth on "Cut Path" I assume ti will go through the the top 1/8" ply plus the 1/2" carrier. Bl, I like the idea of stacking the 1/8" pieces of ply.

I've included the simple angel pattern I made.

Thanks again,

SteveNelson46
08-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks, folks. I really appreciate the help. Steve, on the first method, since one can't set depth on "Cut Path" I assume ti will go through the the top 1/8" ply plus the 1/2" carrier. Bl, I like the idea of stacking the 1/8" pieces of ply.

I've included the simple angel pattern I made.

Thanks again,

Rocky,

I have made a short video showing how. The title is "How To Cutout A Pattern"

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0jR3LNRxqJeSG15eEtvZDZRNkE&usp=sharing

The "Cutpath" tool will only cut through the thickness of your board and NOT through the carrier board.

Rocky
08-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Rocky,

I have made a short video showing how. The title is "How To Cutout A Pattern"

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0jR3LNRxqJeSG15eEtvZDZRNkE&usp=sharing

The "Cutpath" tool will only cut through the thickness of your board and NOT through the carrier board.

Steve,

SUPER... I'll look at your video. Now that's great feed back.

Thanks,

dbemus
08-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Steve.

Great job on the video! Very informative. Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
I TOO Loved Steve's Video.... I wanted to add my 3rd version to Steve's #2 of just assigning a bit. I do the same except I assign the 3/8 inch bit BUT physically install a 1/16th End Mill Bit that is actually a Circuit Board Cutting bit that was sharpened and sold on eBay. I found when I just assigned the 1/8th inch bit like Steve's method 2 using double stick tape, that the bit cut in 2 speeds or fee rates. It would do slow on turns but faster on long areas. For me the 1/8 inch bit left a rough cut. Then I switched to the 1/16th bit but the 2nd gear feed rate was too fast for that smaller bit and it pushed the tag loose from the tape.

By selecting the 3/8 inch bit you lie to the machine and it will stay in 1st gear the whole cut... That would work too if you used the 1/8th inch bit too. Now my tags have a Corrigated Edge due to the teeth on the side of the bit I selected....

I am using a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor with a screw and I have had good results and no vibration. I think I paid about 10 bucks for the Bits on eBay....

Good Luck,

AL

ktjwilliams
08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Very good ...

Rocky
08-18-2014, 03:41 AM
Steve, your video was very helpful and straight forward. Thanks again.

Rocky
08-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Another question. :)

I have a CarveWright bit that looks like the attached photo. My question is this: For cutting out patterns, can I also use a 1/8" bit that has 2 or 3 straight flutes instead if the CarveWright bit and still get good results?

Thanks,

SteveNelson46
08-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Another question. :)

I have a CarveWright bit that looks like the attached photo. My question is this: For cutting out patterns, can I also use a 1/8" bit that has 2 or 3 straight flutes instead if the CarveWright bit and still get good results?

Thanks,

Yes you can. Be careful using a solid carbide bit with a split collet adapter. Sometimes they slip in the collet.