PDA

View Full Version : Edit Pattern Outline

tcough3475
08-15-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't know if this can be done but hope someone can provide some guidance/direction.

I have a typical pattern that I've inserted on a board that is larger than the pattern. I want to cut out only part of the pattern outline, primarily along the bottom edge. I can't seem to find/figure out what tool I can use to modify the cut-path element. I have the 2D & 3D tools if this helps. Running 2.xxx

Thanks in advance for any ideas how to approach this.

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2014, 01:45 PM
I have had good luck doing a manual outline for something like the Deer.

What I did was first turn off the Perspective View.
Then made a 14.5 inch board.
Then put my Carved Pattern on the board as big as I could and in my case leaving some room at the bottom to make a mountain base.
By making the carve as big as you can, small errors in placement of the manual outline line won't be seen when you shrink the whole thing down to size when your done.
I use the line and arc tools and make sure the nodes glow red as I connect short lines around my pattern. Later you can go back and adjust the lines even add nodes.

When your done you will have a outline with WAY too many nodes.... I then use the Outline Tool and outline the manual traced lines by making it a shallow carve region first. Then delete the manual trace and use the outline that has less nodes. Remember all the nodes must be connected and the last to first node like Xmas Lights for the Carve Reagon or Cut Path to work...

AL

mtylerfl
08-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Hi Tracy,

You cannot partial cut a Cut Path, nor can you edit the outline unless it was drawn manually or imported via the DXF Importer.

You need to manually draw the line(s) where you want a cut, then manually assign a cutting bit (typically the 1/8" cutting bit) to those line sections. Click on the Pierce button after assigning the bit to a line so the depth will automatically be set to go through the bottom of the board by a few hundredths to get a clean cut-through.

NOTE: When possible, it's always helpful that you upload your MPC to the forum so we can take a look at the real deal. Exceptions are when you have an MPC with a non-copyprotected commercial pattern as part of the MPC.

EDIT: I see AL posted as I was typing. He has some good tips there.

tcough3475
08-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks fellas. I was hoping to find an "automated" technique to avoid tracing the portion I wanted to keep but it won't take to long anyway.

I would have uploaded the PTN/MPC to help everyone to clearly understand what I was after but I'm posting while at work and don't have the ability to upload the files. Perhaps one day LHR will release an app for Designer ! ;-)