PDA

View Full Version : Vector drawings

Canemaker
08-15-2014, 06:56 AM
I have a basic question that I don't know exactly where to put. Please repost in appropriate thread site if necessary.

Has anyone used the site that http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm/Heraldry/?&page=1

Can these images be used and imported into the cw or is there something else I need to make them into a pattern?
I only have 1.187

Thanks

John

lynnfrwd
08-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Vectorart3d sells their patterns as ptn's on our depot.

mtylerfl
08-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi John,

The title of your post says "Vector Drawings", so I assume you mean just line drawings (not relief models) is what you are looking for. The original parent company of vector art 3D offers just line drawings. (The companies are now separate and no real connection between the two now since they each offer completely different product lines.) Here is their URL, which is a different website than the relief model site:

http://www.vectorart.com/

Canemaker
08-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Michael, what I'm looking for are the elements to put together a family crest for an individual. He has a basic image in mind, but since he can't find his family crest he has decided to make up one. (Who's going to know)...

He is wanting a shield in the middle to place his initial, then a banner across the bottom for his full last name, and on either side of the crest he wants a lion (which is available on the basic pattern list) on the left side and a rearing horse on the right side. I was hoping I could purchase the elements as patterns and position as needed onto a carving for him to ok then carve. He wants to put it outside by his pool, so I was also wondering if someone knew of the type of foam material that would work the best. He said that he would invest about $50 into a good pattern if necessary. He does want it carved to the max depth if possible. Thanks for any help in this matter.

cestout
08-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I have done that sort of thing using the 2D and 3D modeling suites. I have a banner in the store that came from one of these projects. I outlined parts with 2D and extruded them with 3D and fiddled withe the depth until they joined seamlessly. Draw a shield shape and puff it or use sweep.
Clint

mtylerfl
08-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Michael, what I'm looking for are the elements to put together a family crest for an individual. He has a basic image in mind, but since he can't find his family crest he has decided to make up one. (Who's going to know)... He is wanting a shield in the middle to place his initial, then a banner across the bottom for his full last name, and on either side of the crest he wants a lion (which is available on the basic pattern list) on the left side and a rearing horse on the right side. I was hoping I could purchase the elements as patterns and position as needed onto a carving for him to ok then carve. He wants to put it outside by his pool, so I was also wondering if someone knew of the type of foam material that would work the best. He said that he would invest about $50 into a good pattern if necessary. He does want it carved to the max depth if possible. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Ok, thank you for the additional details...sounds like in the end, you do want relief models. Perhaps you wanted pre-drawn vectors to import via the DXF Importer then create your own PTN's using the CW 3D Modeling Suite. That would make sense. Otherwise, I think you could find all the necessary PTN's (relief models) you require, at the Pattern Depot store if you aren't planning on making your own. On the banner, you may indeed want to carve the family name using Centerline text and Conform Vectors. That would look really nice.

HDU (high density urethane) would be great for outdoor use. The heavier density, the better. At least 15 lb. if people won't be "poking it" (making dents). A 30 lb. is very durable and would be my personal preference if the crest is within reach of kids and adults. (Costs more, of course.) Easier material to come by would be the PVC-type trim material you can buy at the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Be sure to have a good dust collection setup if carving plastic like that. The little 'curls' can clog up the works and cause axis stalls if not continually removed while carving. The HDU isn't as problematic that way.

chief2007
08-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Canemaker,

You can purchase patterns from them, but you must contact them first to get them in .ptn (pattern format) unless you have the STL importer. As lynnfrwd state, several of the Vector Art 3D patterns and in the pattern library at Carvewright.

Here is the link to Vector Art 3D patterns - http://store.carvewright.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=2&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=1

lynnfrwd
08-15-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't believe VectorArt3d sells them as .ptns from their website. They will often upload a .ptn to us, if LHR doesn't have it already, because someone saw it on their website, but not on the Depot as a .ptn. I think they are pretty good about keeping the Depot up to date on their new patterns.

Canemaker
08-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Great thanks for all the valuable information... I did search the depot and found several items of interest.

Michael.. thanks for the information about the foam board.

Connie thanks for all the pattern depot info.

Cestout... I have used my 2d/3d suites only to end up with a 3d grade completion pattern after hours of work...I think I'll use someone (a master) this time and bit the bullet and purchase a pattern from the depot.