PDA

View Full Version : new rotary projects and an observation on the gap

dltccf
08-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Here are two more rotary projects.

Also I observed that I still have a gap despite following all the suggestions and having all the calibrations working perfectly. However when I imported an STL and carved it, the carve said "cleaning up" when it reached 100% and continued to carve until it reached 105% which eliminated the gap. However when I create anything and carve it that wasn't imported from an STL. It stops as soon as it reaches 100% which results in a gap. What triggers the rotary to go ahead and carve the "clean up"?

BTW, this project I downloaded from 123Dcatch. Someone took pictures of a statue and imported into there:

http://www.123dapp.com/obj-Catch/Pillar-Statue/1276492
71151 (http://www.123dapp.com/obj-Catch/Pillar-Statue/1276492)

So there a a lot of great possibilities there for carving objects that don't fit in a sled.

I also did another rotary litho:

https://plus.google.com/114459821217701466676/posts/5GrFaYJxVZt

dave

dltccf
08-19-2014, 09:37 AM
So no one knows what triggers the 105% cleanup carving on the rotary versus stopping at 100%?

dave

bergerud
08-19-2014, 11:13 AM
If I remember, the difference in behavior depends on whether the carve region is up against the no carve zone at the drive end of the dowel. If it is, the carve ramps in at the start and over carves past 360 degrees on the way out. If it is not, the carve plunges in at the start in and stops at 360 degrees.

dltccf
08-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I'll have to test and see if that does it. I wonder if you can force that behavior with a 0 depth carve region in that position?

dave

dltccf
08-25-2014, 02:52 PM
I did another carve on the rotary jig this past weekend and it looks like putting a 0 depth carve at the edge does trigger the carving all the way around.

RMarkey
08-26-2014, 12:07 PM
If there is a single raster that goes all the way around the rotary, and it extends the max length of the project (excepting the keep-out zones), then it will ramp into the wood 1/2", go all the way around, and continue another 1/2" to clean up.

You always want the start and end edges to look almost the 'same' with no sharp changes in Z to minimize mistakes if the jig slips during carving.

dltccf
08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
If there is a single raster that goes all the way around the rotary, and it extends the max length of the project (excepting the keep-out zones), then it will ramp into the wood 1/2", go all the way around, and continue another 1/2" to clean up.

You always want the start and end edges to look almost the 'same' with no sharp changes in Z to minimize mistakes if the jig slips during carving.

So you are saying you have to have carving to all 4 edges (top, bottom and both sides) to cause the "cleanup"? In my test the single actual carve went to both side edges, but not the whole way to the top and bottom so I placed 0 depth carvings at the top and bottom to extend past the keep out zones.

RMarkey
08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Your raster would need to reach to 0.6" at the keypad (south) side, 0.4" at the far (north) side. These numbers include the 0.1" part-off.

Rasters are grouped along the Y axis, so a small 'strip' at the bottom and top will be grouped into one large raster (one of the reasons we cannot 'extract' projects from cards).