PDA

View Full Version : Wood BOW TIE.... Wood TIE.... Could be a HOT Product...

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Watching the nightly news tonight and saw a story of a guy making Wood Bow Ties and Wood Ties... I thought... WOW what a great idea for the CW.... Do a search and see the BUZZ....

You WOOD (would) really need a special market for them but I believe they could be a Craft Show and small shop NEW HOT ITEM....

Not something I have a market for but it caught my interest....

AL

CNC Carver
08-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Really cool.

Deolman
08-13-2014, 08:15 PM
I would have never guessed. I guess an enterprising entrepreneur just has to make his own market.

henry1
08-13-2014, 08:23 PM
that would b nice if we could get this there is bow on the forum somewhere

Proctorw
08-13-2014, 09:41 PM
I was at a wedding last year and one of the guests had one on. I talked to him about it. He told me he had 5 or 6. They were a real deal, he only paid $85 a piece for them. I told him I would be happy to make as many as he wanted and would only charge him $60. He thought that was a great deal, but I didn't know who he was and I didn't get his contact information. Anyway, there is a market, its just figuring how to tap into it.

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Looked on eBay and the Texture Tool could be a plus making them....

chebytrk
08-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I remember seeing someone with a wooden tie and it was really cool looking. It was made in about 5 pieces and it was held together with elastic type bands which made it kinda flexible. I don't know the kind of wood, but it was stained and varnished and looked really neat.... especially the windsor knot that was set on it. I recall it was maybe 1/4" thick. If someone comes up with a pattern or idea, please share. Hey maybe even some type of "Bolo" tie for cowboys would be cool. Don't know how it would look using real thin stips of wood for that one. I made a belt buckle a long time ago, but never really followed thru with it. I even ordered the back parts to clip it on a belt. Still have the bag full laying around somewhere.

CW-HAL9000
08-14-2014, 02:13 PM
I was curious so I also looked on ebay, they are selling from 5.99 to 12.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Boys-Adults-Wood-Bow-Tie-size-9-6X4-8X0-7CM-5styles-5pcs-/311047940815?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item486be6eacf

CW-HAL9000
08-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I remember seeing someone with a wooden tie and it was really cool looking. It was made in about 5 pieces and it was held together with elastic type bands which made it kinda flexible. I don't know the kind of wood, but it was stained and varnished and looked really neat.... especially the windsor knot that was set on it. I recall it was maybe 1/4" thick. If someone comes up with a pattern or idea, please share. Hey maybe even some type of "Bolo" tie for cowboys would be cool. Don't know how it would look using real thin stips of wood for that one. I made a belt buckle a long time ago, but never really followed thru with it. I even ordered the back parts to clip it on a belt. Still have the bag full laying around somewhere.

Here is one tie and directions on how to make it.

http://www.woodworkingformeremortals.com/2012/11/how-to-make-wooden-necktie.html

edzbaker
08-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks to Al, Here is a bow-tie pattern that I made. You could personalize it for yourself. The attached pattern does not have my initials on it, as shown in the lower picture.

You will need to do the cutout, also. (Just in case someone might want to use a scroll-saw / band-saw to do it)

Ed

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks to Al, Here is a bow-tie pattern that I made. You could personalize it for yourself. The attached pattern does not have my initials on it, as shown in the lower picture.

You will need to do the cutout, also. (Just in case someone might want to use a scroll-saw / band-saw to do it)

Ed

Ed,

That is very impressive.... Thanks for sharing. A Cut Above the flat stock I have seen.

Thanks,

AL

ladjr
08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Nice Bow Tie. I'm thinking about making one 12 inch long to hang in my office

CNC Carver
08-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Great work Ed those look much better than the new hot bow tie's! You have a great skill at making patterns.

Proctorw
08-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ed. Have you made one? If so, what was the thickness of the stock you used? 1/2" stock?

edzbaker
08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
[quote]Thanks Ed. Have you made one [quote]

I have not made one. I was inspired by Al's post and thought that many of the forum users might want to try it out. I've never worn a bow-tie in my life. (And the only long tie I wore was in the Army) But, I think I will carve one and wear it to the Doctors office sometime, with a denim shirt and jeans. (he will want it, I'm sure)

Ed

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Make one for the Terminix guy.... :)

henry1
08-16-2014, 06:16 PM

Ed
Nice now to find the tie ptn

Digitalwoodshop
08-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Nice now to find the tie ptn

Post #10 in this thread.