PDA

View Full Version : Puffing…..how to puff only one line within a 4-sided shape

AlBCuttnWud
08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
So I am attempting to make a plaque that resembles an F-18 vertical stabilizer……the rounded puffing tool looks like it will work for the leading edge but the top, bottom and back do not need to be puffed. Is there a way to only puff the leading edge? I'm basically looking to make this into a plaque. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Attached are a couple of pictures to help explain what I'm looking to do.

SteveNelson46
08-10-2014, 07:49 PM
So I am attempting to make a plaque that resembles an F-18 vertical stabilizer……the rounded puffing tool looks like it will work for the leading edge but the top, bottom and back do not need to be puffed. Is there a way to only puff the leading edge? I'm basically looking to make this into a plaque. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Attached are a couple of pictures to help explain what I'm looking to do.

This is a pretty crude example but, if it's what you are looking for use the "Extrude" tool instead of the "Puff" tool.

AlBCuttnWud
08-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Steve,
Thanks for your help but the leading edge that I need rounded off is opposite of the example…it looks like all four sides of the smaller rectangle is puffed….this is the hard part in that I just need one side puffed. Make sense?

SteveNelson46
08-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Steve,
Thanks for your help but the leading edge that I need rounded off is opposite of the example…it looks like all four sides of the smaller rectangle is puffed….this is the hard part in that I just need one side puffed. Make sense?

If you have the "Puff" tool you should also have the "Extrude" tool. Just double click on the shape and adjust it to your liking.

AlBCuttnWud
08-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a whirl next week and let you know how it goes. Thank you again!

SteveNelson46
08-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a whirl next week and let you know how it goes. Thank you again!

No problem. If you need any more help just let me know. I'm sure there are others here on the forum that will help also.

BTW, was this what you were looking for (roughly)?

SteveNelson46
08-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Or maybe this?

lynnfrwd
08-10-2014, 10:13 PM
We need more instruction on making our own patterns.

CW-HAL9000
08-11-2014, 09:58 AM
We need more instruction on making our own patterns.

Not to be snarky but seems like LHR should be putting out more instruction. It would help sell the add on features if people felt comfortable that they could use and would use the add ons. I have not bought any add on's except Centerline text because I am not sure I would use them or could learn to use them well enough to justify the cost.

SteveNelson46
08-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Not to be snarky but seems like LHR should be putting out more instruction. It would help sell the add on features if people felt comfortable that they could use and would use the add ons. I have not bought any add on's except Centerline text because I am not sure I would use them or could learn to use them well enough to justify the cost.

Carvewright has many tutorials on just about everything. Including the add-ons. http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/

The learning curve can be a challenge but, IMHO, there is just as much fun in the designing phase as there is in the actual building phase. I'm not all that creative but, with the right tools and a little time invested I can do things that are quite spectacular.

CW-HAL9000
08-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Carvewright has many tutorials on just about everything. Including the add-ons. http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/

The learning curve can be a challenge but, IMHO, there is just as much fun in the designing phase as there is in the actual building phase. I'm not all that creative but, with the right tools and a little time invested I can do things that are quite spectacular.

I have gone through the tutorials but as Connie said there is a need for more detailed instructional videos or tutorials. Heck there is a need for more documentation on all of CW's software, hardware and maintenance. I will give them some credit as the site has gotten better in the last year but Ask Bud is sorely missed. I also do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

SteveNelson46
08-11-2014, 01:03 PM
I have gone through the tutorials but as Connie said there is a need for more detailed instructional videos or tutorials. Heck there is a need for more documentation on all of CW's software, hardware and maintenance. I will give them some credit as the site has gotten better in the last year but Ask Bud is sorely missed. I also do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

I thought Connie's post was directed at me. I think she wanted me to explain more on how I did it or make a video.

CW-HAL9000
08-11-2014, 01:04 PM
I thought Connie's post was directed at me. I think she wanted me to explain more on how I did it or make a video.

I do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

fwharris
08-11-2014, 01:24 PM
I do not think there should be such a reliance on owners to help each other.

Gee, that is what we are here for! ;)

lynnfrwd
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
It was not directed at anyONE person. Just a statement in general, even to LHR. We discussed this in our management meeting this morning. Our problem is we don't have a lot of spare time to spend on it.

There are tons of tutorials. We are in discussions about how to better organize it. YES, it is MUCH BETTER than it used to be.

As far as leaning on others, that is how we got to where we are today. Askbud did all of his on his own. Michael T did tips & tricks for years, but even he is swamped with other commitments. MANY others have contributed over the years and some like Al who and others continue to offer their knowledge. Steve has stepped in with his two videos that will be featured in the upcoming Newsletter and placed in a good location on our website.

The Reed logo image looked to me to be the perfect excuse for using the drawing tools and the puff tools of 3d Pattern Modeling. You could import and trace the image and use drawing tools, if you didn't have the Vector Suite or, if you did, use the IMPORT TRACE tool.

mtylerfl
08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
You can get a true airfoil shape without too much trouble. I did this quick example to demonstrate how the Rail Sweep is suited for this job.

For the delineation of the rudder, I just drew a vector and assigned the 1/16" Carving bit and used Conform Vector. For the tail fin nacelles, I drew just one as an example and used the Puffing/Curve profile. I also used the Tilt Tool (but it would be better to tilt after it is a PTN...see next paragraph...)

If I were to continue this and really tweak it, I would create a PTN for the main tail fin overall, then make separate PTN's for the nacelles and other details so I could have complete freedom for merging, tilting and so on until it was exactly how I want it.

SteveNelson46
08-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Clever indeed Michael. I didn't even think about the "Rail Sweep" tool.

mtylerfl
08-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Clever indeed Michael. I didn't even think about the "Rail Sweep" tool.

Thank you, Steve...but, the 'cleverness kudos' go to the programmers though. Rail sweeps are good for a lot of modeling tasks. It is a very handy tool.

I am kinda hoping you can find time to make a video of this. You always do a fantastic job and everyone appreciates the videos you do find the time to make!

AlBCuttnWud
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
You can get a true airfoil shape without too much trouble. I did this quick example to demonstrate how the Rail Sweep is suited for this job.

For the delineation of the rudder, I just drew a vector and assigned the 1/16" Carving bit and used Conform Vector. For the tail fin nacelles, I drew just one as an example and used the Puffing/Curve profile. I also used the Tilt Tool (but it would be better to tilt after it is a PTN...see next paragraph...)

If I were to continue this and really tweak it, I would create a PTN for the main tail fin overall, then make separate PTN's for the nacelles and other details so I could have complete freedom for merging, tilting and so on until it was exactly how I want it.

As they say in the south..that dog will hunt! Great job. I really appreciate your time to create this. I'm going to try to replicate to see if I can manage to get in the same ballpark. I'm still getting up to speed on all the terminology so hang on for a few more questions.

mtylerfl
08-12-2014, 08:19 PM
As they say in the south..that dog will hunt! Great job. I really appreciate your time to create this. I'm going to try to replicate to see if I can manage to get in the same ballpark. I'm still getting up to speed on all the terminology so hang on for a few more questions.

Hope the example helps. It only took about a minute to do. TIP: You have the option to Scale Z when doing a sweep. I did NOT use that option in that quickie example. However, I think it would look better if you did use it...that way the top of the tail fin will naturally taper down thinner like a real airfoil does at the narrower end (i.e., the top of the fin in this case). My example has the fin thickness the same at the leading edge at both top and bottom because I did not engage the Scale Z option.

AlBCuttnWud
08-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Hope the example helps. It only took about a minute to do. TIP: You have the option to Scale Z when doing a sweep. I did NOT use that option in that quickie example. However, I think it would look better if you did use it...that way the top of the tail fin will naturally taper down thinner like a real airfoil does at the narrower end (i.e., the top of the fin in this case). My example has the fin thickness the same at the leading edge at both top and bottom because I did not engage the Scale Z option.

About add-ons and additional software features….I only have the standard 3.0 that came with the machine. What additional add-ons do I need to purchase to be able to create this seemingly simple design?

mtylerfl
08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
About add-ons and additional software features….I only have the standard 3.0 that came with the machine. What additional add-ons do I need to purchase to be able to create this seemingly simple design?

I used the following tools for the example...

• the 2Vector Drawing Suite (2D Advanced) to make trace lines from your photo
• the Pattern Modeling Suite (3D Advanced) to create the Rail Sweep model of the airfoil and the 'puff' and "tilt" for the nacelle
• the Conforming Vectors for the lines of the tail fin rudder deliniation to conform to the curvature of the fin

If I had continued to completion, I would also be using the Pattern Editor to nicely blend all the parts after creating the final PTN (pattern)

SteveNelson46
08-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Thank you, Steve...but, the 'cleverness kudos' go to the programmers though. Rail sweeps are good for a lot of modeling tasks. It is a very handy tool.

I am kinda hoping you can find time to make a video of this. You always do a fantastic job and everyone appreciates the videos you do find the time to make!

I made a short video as Michael requested. Below is a link to all of the videos I have made so far. This one is named "Stabilizer"

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0jR3LNRxqJeSG15eEtvZDZRNkE&usp=sharing

mtylerfl
08-14-2014, 02:15 PM
That's fantastic, Steve!

I'll add a couple quick tips to augment your excellent tutorial video:

1) The Red and Green line order is determined by which line is drawn FIRST for the two-rail sweep. The first line will be the Green one when you go into the profile drawing window. Drawing the angle line first, makes it the green one which is intuitively the reverse of the profile direction as shown. You and I both drew the angled line first.

If we drew the vertical line first, then that line becomes the green one and the profile direction would visually match. It does NOT matter which one is drawn first or second (as far as the sweep functionality)...you just make sure you draw the sweep profile according to the visual red/green guidelines (even if it looks 'backwards'). The profile sweep will still work correctly, as we see in the example.

2) The attachment method shown in the video is a good technique to know and to learn. There is a shortcut method to making sure the profile extends all the way to either side, by clicking the icon "Fit to Left and Right Guides" it does the same thing, but does not "lock" the position like an attachment does. So, attaching is really good for locking the ends, if necessary...the shortcut is handy if locking isn't required.

SteveNelson46
08-14-2014, 06:17 PM
That's fantastic, Steve!

I'll add a couple quick tips to augment your excellent tutorial video:

1) The Red and Green line order is determined by which line is drawn FIRST for the two-rail sweep. The first line will be the Green one when you go into the profile drawing window. Drawing the angle line first, makes it the green one which is intuitively the reverse of the profile direction as shown. You and I both drew the angled line first.

If we drew the vertical line first, then that line becomes the green one and the profile direction would visually match. It does NOT matter which one is drawn first or second (as far as the sweep functionality)...you just make sure you draw the sweep profile according to the visual red/green guidelines (even if it looks 'backwards'). The profile sweep will still work correctly, as we see in the example.

2) The attachment method shown in the video is a good technique to know and to learn. There is a shortcut method to making sure the profile extends all the way to either side, by clicking the icon "Fit to Left and Right Guides" it does the same thing, but does not "lock" the position like an attachment does. So, attaching is really good for locking the ends, if necessary...the shortcut is handy if locking isn't required.

I changed the Stabilizer video to include the suggestions by MT.

AlBCuttnWud
08-16-2014, 07:14 PM
I changed the Stabilizer video to include the suggestions by MT.

Nicely done Steve……..I guess I'll be buying some add-ons. I really appreciate your efforts to put this video together.