PDA

View Full Version : Flex shaft lube?

Iron Mike
08-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Is there any brand of Moly lube for flex shafts available at popular stores or is ordering from CW store the best option:confused: Think I be needing some as my cable is getting warmer each carve - not HOT yet but there is a noticeable temp increase during the last two carves.

fwharris
08-09-2014, 11:56 PM
The only other lube I can testify to is Crane Cam Lube with Molly. It is an automotive pre assembly lube.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1

You would still need to order it as I do not think any of the auto box stores carry it in stock. If you know a real auto shop that does engine rebuilds maybe..

Digitalwoodshop
08-10-2014, 11:19 AM
The formula has changed since I first started using it in 2007 so my next purchase will be from LHR. Just my 2 cents... or $75.00 flex...

If it works... don't break it...

blhutchens
08-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Is there any brand of Moly lube for flex shafts available at popular stores or is ordering from CW store the best option:confused: Think I be needing some as my cable is getting warmer each carve - not HOT yet but there is a noticeable temp increase during the last two carves.

I have been using bel-ray multipurpose lube. You should be able to find it at a motorcycle shop. I think it has the same ingredients as the carverwright stuff. It is in a spray can. Did not find the ingredients on the can but it is the same color and smell as the stuff from carvewright. Using anything but carvewright lube will probably void your warranty .

DickB
08-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Ordering from the store is the best option.

blhutchens
08-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Dick is right. CW product is best.

cestout
08-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I have always used Lubraplate 930AA. Easy to use - paint it on with a 1" chip brush - and my shafts never get hot - barely warm.
Clint

kroskam
08-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I use LPS ChainMate Chain and Wire Rope Lube. It works great, and I picked it up at Grainger. I do not remember how much it costs, but it was around $12-$15 I think. A little goes a long way so it will last a very long time. The best part is you can walk right in and pick it up without getting taken on the shipping costs.

SteveNelson46
08-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Using what is recommended by LHR is almost always the best option. I only lube the flex shaft about every 300 to 400 hours and I have NEVER had a flex shaft or sheath get hot. In fact, I'm still using the original flex shaft with over 1500 cut motor hours. Still using the original cut motor also.

CarverJerry
11-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Was wondering if anyone has ever used Lucas assembly lube which contains moly and zinc on their flex shaft?

cestout
11-14-2014, 05:00 PM
I started using Lubraplate long before LHR had a recommended lube. It worked, so I never changed.
Clint

edsingletary
11-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Lubraplate was our stuff for weapons years ago, that stuff is still around hunh