PDA

View Full Version : Carvetight runs hot?

dehrlich
08-07-2014, 06:10 PM
I'm wondering, I'm still breaking in my new machine... is it usual for the Carvetight spindle to run hot? The whole carrier seems to get pretty warm, much more so than my old machine running a Rock chuck. After a carve of 1.5 hrs its almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. If it's bad I need to get a new one before my 30 day warranty runs out. Suggestions?

fwharris
08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Pull the top hat off the truck and inspect the top bearing to see if any lube from the flex shaft has run down into the bearing.

Is it just the truck that is running hot or is the flex shaft hot also?

dehrlich
08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
The shaft gets a little warmer than I like it, but not like melting hot. I assume all that was lubed properly.... but I know what happens when you assume.

SteveNelson46
08-08-2014, 10:49 AM
The shaft gets a little warmer than I like it, but not like melting hot. I assume all that was lubed properly.... but I know what happens when you assume.

I know it sounds strange but, if any lube from the flex shaft gets inside the top hat it will make it run hot. Take the top hat off and wipe out as much of the oil/lube as you can. Eventually, it will start to cool down with use.