PDA

View Full Version : Tool Stand for your carver

oju392
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
I would highly recommend this stand for mounting a Carvewright/Compucarve on:
http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php/topic,4347.0.html
I just got back from Home Depot and they are regularly priced at $149.00 and on sale for 99.00.
(Ridgid MSUV miter saw stand)
This stand is very sturdy, its portable (yet a bit on the heavy side) and is comes with expandable rollers.
This stand is not just for miter saws.
Note: The internet indicates $149.00 but the store did in fact have it for $99.00.

Gman_Ind
02-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I like this stand (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40612)
it has expandable support and one is a roller, it extends more than enough, I use one for my 12" sliding compound miter. It is not the easiest to fold up but I rarely fold mine up. It goes on sale for $79 often.

silkroad
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info on this stand. I picked one up yesterday at the local Home Depot facility - still @ $99.00. This is exactly what I was looking for to mount the compucarve. RIDGID Miter Saw Stand and Utility Vehicle, Model AC9940

mikem
02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DW7350-Planer-Integrated-Mobile/dp/B0000CCXU9/sr=8-1/qid=1172703566/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3836006-5106229?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I love this stand at Amazon.com, $99 with free shipping. I originally got this for my dewalt planer, but liked it so much I bought another for the carver.

kyeakel
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
I just ordered the Dewalt stand as well. I've got alot of Dewalt tools and all of them have held up real well.

CW Rookie
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DW7350-Planer-Integrated-Mobile/dp/B0000CCXU9/sr=8-1/qid=1172703566/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3836006-5106229?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I love this stand at Amazon.com, $99 with free shipping. I originally got this for my dewalt planer, but liked it so much I bought another for the carver.

Currently I've got the carver on a Craftsman multi-drawer tool stand (with plastic covering the drawers so everything isn't covered with sawdust) but this Dewalt stand looks like it could be modified to include a dust plenum under the carver to hookup the vacuum like others have done. Are the four sides solid??

I was going to make a stand but think this may be an easy plan to include additional dust collection . . .

mikem
03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Currently I've got the carver on a Craftsman multi-drawer tool stand (with plastic covering the drawers so everything isn't covered with sawdust) but this Dewalt stand looks like it could be modified to include a dust plenum under the carver to hookup the vacuum like others have done. Are the four sides solid??

I was going to make a stand but think this may be an easy plan to include additional dust collection . . .

The four sides are solid for about 6 1/2 inches, then they open up. There is a shelf about half way down that helps with the rigidity and is very convenient for storing stuff on. It shouldn't be in the way. I think it would be very easy to modify it, and plan on doing just that after my compucarve arrives (Mar 7th if sears is correct).

CW Rookie
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
The four sides are solid for about 6 1/2 inches, then they open up. There is a shelf about half way down that helps with the rigidity and is very convenient for storing stuff on. It shouldn't be in the way. I think it would be very easy to modify it, and plan on doing just that after my compucarve arrives (Mar 7th if sears is correct).

This Dewalt stand worked out great, but decided to go with a easier dust collector. Just routed out a slot for a shopvac nozzle ($9 at Lowe's), which covers 14" of the 17" slot in the base of the carver. Added a couple screws, a little RTV silicon, and some gasket material - voila!

pkunk
03-15-2007, 09:42 PM
A not of caution for you that are using ShopVacs. The standard Shopvac has a single stage blower and is not designed for continous use as they will overheat. I burned up 3 of them by running them too long. Shop vac does make a 2 stage one but as with all things better, the price goes up. Festool, & Fein also make very good vacs (pricey!), but if you want dust collection, nothing beats a real DC.:D

CW Rookie
03-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks Pkunk!! I was concerned about a possible static issue too and after reading your recent post to Sarge think I'll look into grounding the system (or going to a DC system). Since it is a "safety" issue I might get approval to upgrade!!! (of course, nothing as elaborate as your system - VERY nice!)

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Real dust collection is a must. A cartridge post filter will greatly reduce the fine dust in the air and a shop air filter is a must have addition SAVE your lungs! I run my dust collector and shop air filter on remotes stuck together and I am amazed how much dust the shop air filter actually collects. it helps keep the shop clean and the wife happy.

MikeMcCoy
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
I have the Ridgid mobile cart (MSUV) and this thread was the only thing that came up in a search. The MSUV was recommended earlier in the thread but I couldn't see where anyone had actually done it. The carver can definitely be used on the MSUV but my concern is that I'm not sure if the cast aluminum of the carver mounting area is substantial enough to not break if the Carvewright is hanging on this thing in the vertical position. The question is has anyone actually mounted the Carvewright on to the MSUV.

Ken Massingale
04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I have the Ridgid mobile cart (MSUV) and this thread was the only thing that came up in a search. The MSUV was recommended earlier in the thread but I couldn't see where anyone had actually done it. The carver can definitely be used on the MSUV but my concern is that I'm not sure if the cast aluminum of the carver mounting area is substantial enough to not break if the Carvewright is hanging on this thing in the vertical position. The question is has anyone actually mounted the Carvewright on to the MSUV.
Morning Mike,
I have an 80 lb. planer mounted to the Ridgid MSUV (previous model) and it's been no problem. The MSUV/planer have been banged around a lot, too.

MikeMcCoy
04-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks Ken - that's what I needed to know. I'm trying to salvage some space where none exists.

RayB
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Like mikem and CW Rookie, I am also using a DeWalt 7350 stand with my CC. I have mine fitted with a canvas collector bag (made by Dust Cutter), which is held in place with velcro strips that are compressed between the side flanges of the metal stand and the composite top. Between attaching the bag to my Shopsmith Dust Collector and having the foam weatherstripping between the CC's rubber feet, the setup creates an efficient down draft system.
It works well for me.
:)

Dhaffner
04-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, I did a combo...I bought a cart from Lowes (coleman 3 drawer workshop cabinet) and added the upper box for the downdraft vacuum. I made it large enough to support a 4" dust collection port.
I also added a hook on the side to hold my scanning sled. I'll add another on the other side for a carving sled.

I just need to add trim on the table top, and then build the extension supports for longer boards..but all in all, I'm happy with it.

Here are some pics.

http://home.mchsi.com/~dhaffner/carvecart.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~dhaffner/carvecart2.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~dhaffner/carvecart4.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~dhaffner/carvecart5.jpg

hotpop
04-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Guys,

These CC tables look great. So when is someone going to make them for sale?

LittleRedWoodshop
04-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Still not finished, but here are the pics of the Double Table with downdraft and Outlets built in.

Been running it about a week and no troubles.

Did add a cubby to put stuff in though.

Steven Alford
04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Located this stand tonight, was wondering what you guys thought of it. My only concern is whether those side wings will hinder the outfead tables of the CC machine or if they will work well in conjunction with the outfead tables.

You have to add your own wood for the top and the two shelves, but that's OK because you need to cut a hole in the top anyway for the down draft.

What do you think?? It sells for $102, shipping included

Steve

hotpop
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Steve,

This workstand looks promising. Do you have a WEB address for it?

Steven Alford
04-13-2008, 10:12 PM
It is a Rousseau 2850, my internet search only gave me places where it is on sale. Amazon has it for $102, including shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-2850-Style-Miter-Stand/dp/B00009LI4V

pkunk
04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
If you have to supply the wood, why not build it from MDF, Melamine, Or cabinet grade ply and have a nice cabinet for a fraction of that price?

Steven Alford
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Because, if I built it, it would look like Charlie Browns cabinet!!
It's easier and faster to buy one already made. Besides, at today's prices, I don't think you could make a wooden one with side shelves and all for that price!!

Steve

fwharris
04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Steve,

That looks like a nice design. Make sure it is deep enough to hold the CW and use at least 3/4" for your shelves. It did have good reviews from people who have bought it.

Steven Alford
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
If the shelves do interfere with the outfead tables of the CC, can you remove the outfeed tables on the CC without effecting its operation??

Steven Alford
04-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Floyd, your right. On second look, the width of the stand is 31 inches (I thought that was the depth) and the depth is only 19 inches. That may not be wide enough for the CC. Darn.

Steve