PDA

View Full Version : Strange occurance!

Iron Mike
08-06-2014, 10:27 PM
I did a plaque today that had a friends name 'James Whiting' done in Angsana New font using Centerline Text with the 90 degree v-bit. When the machine carved the letter 'a' only the top and right side was done, the loop portion of the letter was skipped and the rest of the name was carved w/o further incident. After completing the last letter it returned and finished the missing part of the 'a'!!

I almost aborted the project as soon as I saw what happened but glad I didn't. Is this something that happens from time-to-time for some reason or might there be a software glitch?

Geomoo1
08-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Not so strange, Mike. Centerline does that. It might carve part of a letter, go to the other end of the carve, come back and finish, etc. So, don't abort. That's just the way it works.

Iron Mike
08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Nice to know Geomoo1, first time I've seen that happen. I would have been VERY unhappy if I had aborted the 3-hour carve.

SteveNelson46
08-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Not so strange, Mike. Centerline does that. It might carve part of a letter, go to the other end of the carve, come back and finish, etc. So, don't abort. That's just the way it works.

I've often wondered why centerline does that. X and Y tracking has to be "dead on" for the letter parts to align so one would question why all parts of each letter isn't carved all at the same time.

DickB
08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
What version of Designer were you running? I had this issue with Designer 2 and it ruined the project due to misalignment. I had run the same project many times with Designer 1 with no issue. So I'm curious as to the software version.

SteveNelson46
08-07-2014, 09:45 AM
What version of Designer were you running? I had this issue with Designer 2 and it ruined the project due to misalignment. I had run the same project many times with Designer 1 with no issue. So I'm curious as to the software version.

Dick,

I guess it could be exacerbated by different versions but, I would suspect hardware issues first. Tracking can be affected by many different things eg. hardness of the wood, head pressure, wear on the tracking roller, board sensors, etc. I have had tracking issues with all versions ( I, 2, and 3) but, when I fix the problems, such as using masking tape on the tracking roller edge, adjusting the head pressure, and/or cleaning the sensors, the problem is usually corrected.

DickB
08-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I don't mean traking, I mean the long-distant jumps carving Centerline.

SteveNelson46
08-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Sorry, I don't mean traking, I mean the long-distant jumps carving Centerline.

I think we are on the same page. The more distance that is traveled the more chance there is of tracking errors that will throw the line alignment and accuracy off.

DickB
08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Right, so I'm trying to determine if there is a correlation between long jumps with Centerline, or not, with Designer version.

Iron Mike
08-07-2014, 05:07 PM

I using Version 2.006.11926 (~48hrs on the machine). I'll keep a close eye on it during the next carves and see if it happens again. Since the two adjoining letters carved normally there was not anything like a long jump between! ??????

edsingletary
08-07-2014, 07:45 PM
I had a similar problem this evening, carving a pattern repeatedly every 12" eight times in 8 feet. The text was carved with the center letter first, the last letter then back to the first. Weird. I'm sure centerline has a good reason.