PDA

View Full Version : carving on acrylic

t-townwilson
08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
I am very interested in learning how to carve on acrylic. I am finding it difficult to locate the proper type of acrylic, but in playing around with Designer, I can't find a way to invert text so that I can carve on the back. Is that the proper method? If so, how? I've heard that carves need to be very shallow. I saw a posting o Etsy recently extolling the quality of a 3-D. Is that possible with Designer? Does it require 3-D add on program? Is there a tutorial somewhere explaining this process? I've looked, but I can't find any help. Thanks to anyone willing to share expertise:)

fwharris
08-06-2014, 11:35 AM
There a lots of sources for cast acrylic material. You might start with your local glass shop.

Attached is an mpc with the text on the back to show you the alignment/rotation.

Not sure what your asking about on the 3D unless it is, can you carve 3D on acrylic? If so yes it is possible with designer.

DickB
08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I can't find a way to invert text so that I can carve on the back. Select the text, then click on Layout - Flip and Rotate - Flip Horizontally.

t-townwilson
08-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I was able to carve my first acrylic...Irish Blessing, and it looks awesome!

DocWheeler
08-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Pictures please!