PDA

View Full Version : My Version of a Litho Light Box

Geomoo1
08-05-2014, 05:20 PM
I bought some 5x7 frames (on sale) and unfinished jewelry box's from a hobby store (Michael's or Jo-Ann's) I don't remember which. I was going to make my own boxes, but it turned out that I can buy the boxes already hinged and snapped cheaper than buying the stuff to make it myself. I routed out the top of the box leaving about a 1/4' lip and glued the frame, off center, with the bottom of the frame closer to the bottom of the box lid so the whole unit would tilt back a bit using the bottom of the box for a prop.
For lighting I buy everything needed, except the Radio Shack switches, from superbrightleds.com. I buy the LED's by the roll and can be cut into segments every 3 lights, so you can cut to any length you need. As for powering the lights I can use both AC adapters or 9V batteries. The lights are actually 12V dc, but work really good with the 9V battery. The LED's are super low wattage and throw off negligible heat with either power source. Because of that I don't worry about venting the box at all. For a reflector, on the inside bottom of the box, I found a 30" x 100' roll of silver Mirrorized Metallic Film at papermart.com. A roll that size should last for quite a few boxes.
Any and all suggestions or criticisms are welcome and thanks for looking.

George

myshop1044
08-05-2014, 05:32 PM
That looks good, I'm glad you found everything you needed on line. That is a very nice looking frame.

CW-HAL9000
08-05-2014, 06:42 PM
very nice. Great way to put it all together.

want2b
08-05-2014, 07:20 PM
You obviously thought outside the 'box' to put it all together. Beautiful finished product and like your use of the frame to put a tilt on it.
Thx for sharing your project and methods.
Rick H

DickB
08-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Cool. I wouldn't think a 9V battery would last very long in this application.

Geomoo1
08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Cool. I wouldn't think a 9V battery would last very long in this application.

Dick, you would be surprised. The LED strip lights are very low wattage and put a small drain on the battery. Especially with the few lights you need for the litho and with them being actually rated at 12V a 9V uses even less wattage. That is why they generate almost no heat. Low watts = low heat. I don't know exactly how long one lasts because I have yet to leave one turned on continuously.

DickB
08-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I see a custom-length strip on your source website listed at 48 mA for 3 LEDs and 274 mA for a foot. It may be slightly less current at 9 v supply. Duracell lists their 9V battery at 500 mAh, so that gives about 11 hours for 3 LEDS and two hours for a foot.