PDA

View Full Version : STL importer for rotary carves

dltccf
08-05-2014, 08:01 AM
I'm having an issue with the STL importer for rotary carves. I imported a couple of STL files for carving on the rotary jig and I seem to be getting artifacts around the head, See the two examples I have attached. I'm thinking it may be an issue with the heads not being centered but that is just guessing. Venus de Milo has the same issue around her feet. Any Ideas on how to fix this? The files came from Thingiverse and did not show the artifacts while doing the import, only after.

Thanks,
dave7097270971

dltccf
08-05-2014, 08:38 AM
looking at this a little more I think I see the problem. I moved the angel offcenter enough that her head was centered and it seems to have improved it. I also did another import of Venus and as you can see from the screenshot, the issue appears exactly where you can see the yellow centerline axis during the import step. Is this an import bug or a feature?

dave

henry1
08-05-2014, 08:53 AM
That is pretty neat, so how does the dust get away, I just finish making a dust shut for me took me a week to get it right with a wet vac rigid one for the 2 1/2 outlet will post pic, just taken picture and work like a charm , I am happy with it the intake is
1/8 to 1/4 and up to 1/2 to end of intake when its in it,, .050 above the project , now just tuning it up and paint it

bergerud
08-05-2014, 08:56 AM
This is a problem with 3.000. Voids (nothing above the yellow center line) are set to zero height. It has been changed in the last beta I tried. Try the 2.007 importer and you will see the difference.

bergerud
08-05-2014, 09:21 AM
That is pretty neat, so how does the dust get away, I just finish making a dust shut for me took me a week to get it right with a wet vac rigid one for the 2 1/2 outlet will post pic, just taken picture and work like a charm , I am happy with it the intake is
1/8 to 1/4 and up to 1/2 to end of intake when its in it .050 above the project , now just tuning it up and paint it

That is cool Henry. You should start a separate thread for it.

henry1
08-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Never thought of it. I will do that thx gotta say this one works great very happy with it

dltccf
08-05-2014, 10:19 AM
This is a problem with 3.000. Voids (nothing above the yellow center line) are set to zero height. It has been changed in the last beta I tried. Try the 2.007 importer and you will see the difference.

Unfortunately, I went directly from 1.87 to 3.00 so I can't try the 2.007.

dave

dltccf
08-06-2014, 02:47 PM
So I have tried about a dozen and a half different STL imports and haven't found one yet that doesn't run into this issue. It's starting to get irritating. How close is the current Beta to GA? How do I get on the Beta test list? I happen to have pretty extensive experience in testing hardware and software.

dave

SteveNelson46
08-06-2014, 10:56 PM
So I have tried about a dozen and a half different STL imports and haven't found one yet that doesn't run into this issue. It's starting to get irritating. How close is the current Beta to GA? How do I get on the Beta test list? I happen to have pretty extensive experience in testing hardware and software.

dave

Dave,

I'm trying to determine if the problem is with the STL importer or if it might be something in the .stl files. I have imported this King chess piece several times in version 3 and everything seems to be working fine. On the other hand, I have tried to import the bishop and get a ring around the top that I can't seem to get rid of. In version 2 they both seem to work good. Try to import these files with the version 3 stl importer and see what you get.

NOTE: These files came from the Sketchup 3D warehouse and exported as a .stl so there are many things that could be awry.

bergerud
08-06-2014, 11:13 PM
This is a 3.000 problem which I had reported and has been fixed (in the last beta). A void in an object used to be floored to the lowest level of the pattern in 2.0. It was a mistake in 3.000 that changed voids to be lifted to the surface of the dowel (ceiling instead of floor!).

SteveNelson46
08-06-2014, 11:19 PM
This is a 3.000 problem which I had reported and has been fixed (in the last beta). A void in an object used to be floored to the lowest level of the pattern in 2.0. It was a mistake in 3.000 that changed voids to be lifted to the surface of the dowel (ceiling instead of floor!).

I guess that explains the problem.

Thanks Dan

dltccf
09-23-2014, 04:44 PM
So it has been a while since the beta to fix the STL import problem was discussed...any update on when that will become GA?

dave

cestout
09-24-2014, 03:59 PM
A lion head I imported had kind of a raggedy neck. I made it into a pattern and fixed it in pattern editor. You could probably remove that ring that way.
Clint

mtylerfl
09-24-2014, 10:31 PM
So it has been a while since the beta to fix the STL import problem was discussed...any update on when that will become GA?

dave

I asked about it not too long ago and haven't gotten an ETA on that. I'll ask again.

dltccf
09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks Michael. That particular issue put a real damper on a lot of what I wanted to do with the rotary jig.

dave

mtylerfl
09-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks Michael. That particular issue put a real damper on a lot of what I wanted to do with the rotary jig.

dave

Dave,

I don't know an exact date, but I believe it will be within the next several weeks.

dltccf
09-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for checking Michael.

dave