PDA

View Full Version : Deep pockets or stacked carve regions?

LarryLesniak
08-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Since replacing the two cover switches and adding a Ringneck Blues dust collection adapter my machine has been running much more reliably and I'm finally getting consistent results. I'm still learning however and have a question about stacking carve regions to create deep pockets. I have a very simple project to carve a deep pocket in what will be a rectangular piece. To optimize the process I've laid out two pockets side-by-side on one board and created overlapping carve regions to allow me to use a 7/16" bowl cutting bit to leave nicely radiused corners in the bottom of the carving. Since the bit height is only 1/2" and I need a deeper pocket I created two carve regions, one .4" deep and another one of the exact same dimensions and in the same place .8 inches deep. I've placed the regions in order in the designer but when I run the design the machine ONLY carves the first .4" pass and then stops saying carve complete and it never runs the second pass to create the deeper pocket. Can someone take a look at my file and let me know what I might be doing wrong or perhaps give me an alternative way to create this design? Keep in mind that I can't cut the full depth in a single pass as the bit has only 1/2" cutting height. In the design file I've set the bit to 3/16" and have adjusted the size of the design so that the 7/16" bit creates the correct size pocket which it does, but only half the depth I need.

Is this something I should be doing with vectors instead of a carve region? I searched the forum and came across an old thread about deep pockets but the link to a tutorial and a solution is now dead.

Any help or suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Larry

RogerB
08-03-2014, 02:55 PM
One thing you can do is Two carves the first one at .4
the second one like a new carve at .8 you will have to trick the CW as if it is starting with a new board.
carve CENTER.

This might work for you.

Digitalwoodshop
08-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Like above, Second Cut file and jog to position and touch the already carved region bottom. Use Caution with this as the machine may Trip over the higher edge. I would watch the whole cutting project to prevent something like the Y going offset due to a worn Y Gearbox and being asked to work hard cutting then it would run into the side wall at depth.... A FIRE could start from the heat generated... Use Caution....

AL

SteveNelson46
08-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Since replacing the two cover switches and adding a Ringneck Blues dust collection adapter my machine has been running much more reliably and I'm finally getting consistent results. I'm still learning however and have a question about stacking carve regions to create deep pockets. I have a very simple project to carve a deep pocket in what will be a rectangular piece. To optimize the process I've laid out two pockets side-by-side on one board and created overlapping carve regions to allow me to use a 7/16" bowl cutting bit to leave nicely radiused corners in the bottom of the carving. Since the bit height is only 1/2" and I need a deeper pocket I created two carve regions, one .4" deep and another one of the exact same dimensions and in the same place .8 inches deep. I've placed the regions in order in the designer but when I run the design the machine ONLY carves the first .4" pass and then stops saying carve complete and it never runs the second pass to create the deeper pocket. Can someone take a look at my file and let me know what I might be doing wrong or perhaps give me an alternative way to create this design? Keep in mind that I can't cut the full depth in a single pass as the bit has only 1/2" cutting height. In the design file I've set the bit to 3/16" and have adjusted the size of the design so that the 7/16" bit creates the correct size pocket which it does, but only half the depth I need.

Is this something I should be doing with vectors instead of a carve region? I searched the forum and came across an old thread about deep pockets but the link to a tutorial and a solution is now dead.

Any help or suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Larry

I'm not sure of what you are looking for. If it's something like this, I used the extrude tool. It's part of the 3D package.

gashawk
08-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Instead of using Cave Region, try Select bit tool. It will allow you to Max Pass depth. Mine does not have a 7/16" bowl cutting bit. Good Luck.

SteveNelson46
08-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Or maybe something like this using the "Puff" tool and then inverting the pattern. The file was too big to upload but, here is a pic

LarryLesniak
08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Well, I've been very busy working on other projects but finally had a chance to get back to this. I have to say, the forum members are the best! I really appreciate the help each of you offered and it's a response like this that really is the best part of owning a CarveWright/CompuCarve. I evaluated each of the suggestions and was able to find one that worked perfectly and was easy to set up:

I have to admit that the two cut file method was a bit frightening to me. No offense intended but I was really concerned about trying to jog to position and setting the bit properly without doing damage to the carving or worse yet my machine. Maybe with more practice a task like that won't be so intimidating but for now I wanted to go with a single pass solution.

Unfortunately, I don't have the 3D package so that solution wouldn't work for me.

I tried the Puff tool but I couldn't get the results to look quite right. Still, using a new to me design feature is a good learning step.

The Select Bit process turned out to be the ideal solution! I changed from a Carve Region to Select Bit and set the pass depth fairly light since I didn't want to bog the machine down plunging the bowl bit. I created an outlining vector then a series of overlapping vectors to clean out the center and the project was complete! The results are excellent with a brand-new Freud bowl cutting bit (1/2" diameter, 1/2" cutting height, 1/4" shank) which left a very nice radius in the corners and no waves or ripples on the bottom. Just a little sanding to do and some exterior roundovers and we'll be ready for finish.

Thanks again to all who responded. Your willingness to help really is the best feature of the machine!

Larry

SteveNelson46
08-21-2014, 01:07 AM
I did this one with the Sweep: Rail tool.

LarryLesniak
08-31-2014, 02:30 PM
The Select Bit process turned out to be the ideal solution!

As is so often the case I think I spoke too soon! I tried to run this exact same file again today and DISASTER! For some unknown reason, after routing the outline correctly the machine attempted to plunge the full depth of the first vector cut. Each of the vector cuts, used to clear out the center of the design, is .625 deep with a limit of .125 per pass. I confirmed this in the file for each of the cuts and have NO idea why the machine attempted to plunge to the full depth of the cut then start moving forward in a single pass. This stalled the machine since the cutting height of the bit is only .5 causing a sort of keyhole with the shank of the bit hitting the uncut wood above the bit and stalling the machine.

I've attached a copy of the file below and would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the setup and let me know why the machine would override the max pass depth setting and attempt to carve the full depth of the vector line in a single pass.

Larry
(who is always on the verge of being successful with the machine but just can't seem to get there!)

SteveNelson46
08-31-2014, 04:23 PM
As is so often the case I think I spoke too soon! I tried to run this exact same file again today and DISASTER! For some unknown reason, after routing the outline correctly the machine attempted to plunge the full depth of the first vector cut. Each of the vector cuts, used to clear out the center of the design, is .625 deep with a limit of .125 per pass. I confirmed this in the file for each of the cuts and have NO idea why the machine attempted to plunge to the full depth of the cut then start moving forward in a single pass. This stalled the machine since the cutting height of the bit is only .5 causing a sort of keyhole with the shank of the bit hitting the uncut wood above the bit and stalling the machine.

I've attached a copy of the file below and would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the setup and let me know why the machine would override the max pass depth setting and attempt to carve the full depth of the vector line in a single pass.

Larry
(who is always on the verge of being successful with the machine but just can't seem to get there!)

Try this one. It's designed for the 1/8" cutting bit at 1/4" per pass. Be sure to add 7" to the actual board length and a little extra width for the compression rollers. Also, use masking tape along the edge for the brass roller.

Everything looks okay in your project but, I did notice you set it up for the 1/2" bit. Are you using the CT or the QC chuck? Also, are you sure the bit didn't slip in the chuck?