PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Luthiers

benluz
02-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a friend who has been asking me about my machine for doing various operations guitar making, since I have a cabinet making & sawyer lumber back ground I wanted to get some other opinions, Body shape routing, pockets for pick-ups elecrtronic cavity ,necks, f- holes and so on.Here is a picture of his work,Made with my wood.
thanks Ben

mobident
02-26-2007, 07:46 PM
search for any postings by liquidguitars.

DaKubas
03-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Sorry I am of no help to you (just a newcomer to all of this), but just had to comment on how BEAUTIFUL that guitar is that you posted. Good Luck!

benluz
03-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Sorry I am of no help to you (just a newcomer to all of this), but just had to comment on how BEAUTIFUL that guitar is that you posted. Good Luck!

The wood is my business, that't what I sell
to see hids guitars and my wood got to www.brubakerguitars.com
Thanks,
Ben

BobHill
03-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Ben,

I just picked up a luther book yesterday, bye the way, and it has the templates for all that you need: "make your own ELECTRIC GUITAR & BASS" by Dennis Waring & David Raymond. This shows lamination process and parts that can easily be produced on the CarveWright, including indents. Also you might be interested in this site: http://www.michaeldunnguitars.com/ and turn on your sound. Michael Dunn plays (very well) and also makes acustical guitars with fine woods and designs. I'm now taking lessons in classical guitar, as a matter of fact (my instructor is a 26 year old who is fourth instructor generation directly from Andre Segovia ... which doesn't speak to my ability a bit, of course, but he's great).

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

benluz
03-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Ben,

I just picked up a luther book yesterday, bye the way, and it has the templates for all that you need: "make your own ELECTRIC GUITAR & BASS" by Dennis Waring & David Raymond. This shows lamination process and parts that can easily be produced on the CarveWright, including indents. Also you might be interested in this site: http://www.michaeldunnguitars.com/ and turn on your sound. Michael Dunn plays (very well) and also makes acustical guitars with fine woods and designs. I'm now taking lessons in classical guitar, as a matter of fact (my instructor is a 26 year old who is fourth instructor generation directly from Andre Segovia ... which doesn't speak to my ability a bit, of course, but he's great).

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Hello Bob , it wasn't so much for me as a friend who had been asking about the CW he's quite the guitar maker. I sell him the spalted maple he uses on the extreme models ..in case you didn't see them before he is at www.brubakerguitars.com.
Thanks,
Ben

liquidguitars
03-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Its well worth the investment.
The guitar bodys will need to be under 14.50" unless you flip the body and glue it later, will even cut the bindings over a 3D carved top!

When we get the router bit inset and the copy offset it will be even better.:cool:

Liq

cajunpen
03-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Ben, I am interested in hearing more about the wood that you sell. Do you have a website, or can you provide more details?

benluz
03-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi there yes , normally I do sell from my website,but I'm in the process of redoing itand restocking I had surgery on a herniated disc in my lower neck this early(to many motorcycle jumps in my youth) this past fall I had to take it easy for awhile.I have been sawing and have few nice pieces in the kiln now .here is is an example of Book matched sets that I sell.
thanks,
Ben

cajunpen
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks Ben, send me a private message letting me know how to reach you - I might be interested in buying a piece here and there.

BobHill
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Most electric guitars have a body not more than 13" wide, so that shouldn't be any problem. They do normally have a thickness over 1", of course, but since you'd also wish to do a back carving and they are never as thick as the 5" limitation and as long as one isn't afraid of some final manual work on the edges, that should work out extremely well, particularly when doing inlays or laminations.

Bob

benluz
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello Bob , it wasn't so much for me as a friend who had been asking about the CW he's quite the guitar maker. I sell him the spalted maple he uses on the extreme models ..in case you didn't see them before he is at www.brubakerguitars.com.
Thanks,
Ben

I looked site Bob, he does make some very nice acousticals
thanks,
Ben

HerbO
03-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Just finished my first Bass a couple of weeks ago. I have made a few guitars this is the latest. I should say not finished. After I built them I put them all together and try them out first before finishing. The first guitar I routered the neck pocket wrong and could not get the intonation right and it was all finished. Waiting for warmer weather to add the finish.

HerbO

benluz
03-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Just finished my first Bass a couple of weeks ago. I have made a few guitars this is the latest. I should say not finished. After I built them I put them all together and try them out first before finishing. The first guitar I routered the neck pocket wrong and could not get the intonation right and it was all finished. Waiting for warmer weather to add the finish.

HerbO

Herb, are those poplar bodies? , that after test fit,will then be painted.I know alot of the luthiers I sell to say poplar has a good tone to it.
Thanks,
Ben

BobHill
03-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm not really into electric (for playing anyway), but those are looking pretty good, HerbO

Bob

HerbO
03-04-2007, 09:20 AM
The bass is made of Ash with strip of poplar thru the strings. The guitar is maple with smaller strip of poplar thru the low strings. My theory is that poplar gives a warmer tone so low strings are above the poplar and the highs are above the maple. I was going to tung oil both but my son is starting to claim the bass and he wants it painted. I don't play aco or elec very well my son does the heavy testing.