PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Walter T

myshop1044
08-02-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't know Water T's forum name so I will try this way. Walter and I had discuss the construction of his litho boxes and the led strip lights
he used in his boxes at the conference. I am building a couple boxes for display at my next show and need some guidance in that area.
here is my first attempt at a new style, it will have a 20 deg. slant on the front of the box and I am trying to keep it to a 4" depth, so I figured LED strips would be the way to go.
I did find a company that sell a test light kit with 5 different test strips 12" and connectors and converter for $29.00,
then you have to buy the 16' LED strips and converter after you decide the right light that work best for you. The good part about the 16' strip it can be cut up into separate sections as short as 2" and connected to the adapter.
The punk light I have now creates to much heat and does not spread out the light at that close distance.
So Walter if you are reading this or some one knows how I can get in touch with him , please let me know. time is getting short for me.

Perry B.

aokweld101
08-02-2014, 05:48 PM
I've done a litho box and instead of using a led light I used a 2' rope light it worked a lot better I manipulated the rope to the litho and I was pleased with the results as you notice on your the led light it's bright in the center and not bright on the edges the rope light lets you direct the light where you need it and it's priced half of what a led light is.

Canemaker
08-02-2014, 06:41 PM
70929I made a light box out of 1/4 inch walnut with a hinged top. When you open the top of the light box, I placed a mirror on the back panel to help deflect the light onto the image and cut a hole in the top to allow any heat to escape and a hole in the bottom to place the cord. I used an $15 led bulb from Lowes (also use Home Depot) and the Portfolio Candelabra Base Switch Cord. It has a spring clip to hold in place in the bottom of the light box and a built in switch. I spoke with an electrician friend of mine that informed me that if I wired the light myself, I could be held liable. So I always lean towards being responsible and safe, since I don't know much about electricity. Others can probably and do make their own wiring with led lights, I only wish I had that inspiration, knowledge and free of the stress of a liability.

I made the lithophane light box so that the lithophane slides into the front of the box between the two sides which have a 1/4" slot -- 1/4" from the front of the box. This was made so that different lithophanes could be rotated throughout the year depending upon the occasion. ie. Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgving, Mardi Gras,. etc. Best intentions never seem to come true, but it is the thought that really counts. I haven't made the other lithophanes for them to use, (Best intentions never seem to come true) but it was the thought that counts.

I used walnut pieces that I had laying around, so there was no cost there and spent about $25 on the light source. The led bulb has lasted several years as during all seasons, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Mardi Gras the light box stays on for up to 8 hours a day for several days.

I didn't photograph the light box, but it not like I can't since my parents only live a few blocks away. So if you want some detail pictures of the box, let me know and I'll stop by and photograph.

As far a Walter goes, I also remember him from the two conferences that I attended, but I can't find the conference attendee list that we passed around. I had pm him some time ago

I added a photo of the switch cord I used and purchased from Lowes:Portfolio White/Black Lamp Switch

Item #: 40570 | Model #: 864L @ $5.98

Great deal, just put in a led light and your problems are solved.

myshop1044
08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Pictures would be great for me, thanks a lot.

Canemaker
08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
This carving was actually taken from a picture in the 1964 Shreveport Times and was carved using 1/2 corian.70927 This photo shows how I used a rabbit blade to cut a rabbit 1/2 inch from the front of the two sides so I can remove the lithophane and replace easily. If you look closely, you can see the mirror I glued to the back of the box to reflect the light onto the litho as well as the led bulb inserted from the bottom.

I'm sorry about the blurred images, I forgot to put on micro on my camera. Also, please don't make negative comments about my finishing techniques... I'm learning and working on improvements daily.

CW-HAL9000
08-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Very nice litho and light box, I use aluminum foil to reflect the light and christmas lights $1.99 at hobby lobby for a small 25 light string. For my light box I just use hobby lobby shadow box. I am a little more lazy when it comes to making these.

myshop1044
08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
My latest litho box. I found a nice puck light at Lowes for 24.95, just like MT I didn't know it had a touch switch, no I did not bring it back to Lowes.
The box has 20 deg. slant in the front , this gives a more eye appealing effect to the litho. It is the same slant as any picture frame with a stand.
The pic frame is a simple frame from K Mart , $2.04 . I painted the inside white to help the light reflect. I left the light on for a hour and there was not heat build up inside. I will use these as demos at the cars shows and craft shows. I will place 2 small hinges on the left side so they can change out pictures and turn on the light.