PDA

View Full Version : Spline Tool quit working

cestout
08-01-2014, 05:06 PM
The Spline Tool quit working in my 1.187 program - works OK in 2.007. If I click on a line with the Spline Tool selected the yellow dot in the middle of the line disappears. I can change it back to a straight line or an arc. The magic pen also does not work. The magic pen doesn't work at all in 1.187, but does not work like the tutorial shows in 2.007. I doesn't leave the blue dots behind unless I right click and toggle intersect - some times. When I do get a blue dot (2.007) most of the time I can only pull or push it but not swing it.
Clint

Capt Bruce
08-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi Clint,

I got some strange aberrations of the same symptoms Wednesday when trying to construct the same project in two different versions of Designer to make it available for sharing. I'm going to go back now and see if the problem as you have described it applies and would explain what I was seeing. Thanks for giving me some focus, as I thought I was just to tired so I stopped trying.

mtylerfl
08-01-2014, 08:03 PM
The Spline Tool quit working in my 1.187 program - works OK in 2.007. If I click on a line with the Spline Tool selected the yellow dot in the middle of the line disappears. I can change it back to a straight line or an arc. The magic pen also does not work. The magic pen doesn't work at all in 1.187, but does not work like the tutorial shows in 2.007. I doesn't leave the blue dots behind unless I right click and toggle intersect - some times. When I do get a blue dot (2.007) most of the time I can only pull or push it but not swing it.
Clint

I would like to see an example mpc to determine if there is really a 'problem' or not. Do you have something you can post?

You mentioned having a blue dot that you can only push/pull. Right-click on the dot and see if that dot is set to "tangent". If so, then the behavior you described is normal. To make the blue dot able to "swing", just right-click on the dot and select "Free".

EDIT: forgot to mention yellow dots appear only for line segments...not splines or arcs. (I don't know what the magic pen is you are referring to.)

Capt Bruce
08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I think Clint was referring to the Smart Spline Tool. I need to go back and watch the video again as Joe presented these.

mtylerfl
08-02-2014, 07:02 AM
I think Clint was referring to the Smart Spline Tool. I need to go back and watch the video again as Joe presented these.

That's a good idea. I also made a tutorial some time ago. Here's the link:

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/vector-drawing/

About 10 minutes into that particular video, I start showing some simple drawing techniques using the Smart Spline Tool.

Another tutorial (Joe made) uses the Smart Spline Tool quite a lot. It's the one called CarveWright Software Tutorial - Modeling Patterns from a Tracing Image (http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/modeling-suite/)

Clint, I'm still wondering why your Smart Spline Tool isn't working. It is part of the 2D Drawing Suite add-on software and it should work perfectly in 1.187 on up. (I was using 1.187 when I created the above referenced video tutorial). As long as you have the license activated for your 2D Drawing Suite, it should be working for you. Perhaps a reboot of your computer might help? I don't know.

Capt Bruce
08-02-2014, 10:43 AM
As always Mike, thanks for the reminder about your lesson there in the Support section. On my list to watch this evening with a cold one in hand after I'm done playing with sharp objects for the day. Thanks again

cestout
08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
The pen thing I can get by without, but I NEED the spline tool. I will recheck the tutorials on the pen thing.
Clint

liquidguitars
08-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting this.

Capt Bruce
08-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks again for your great Tutorial as a refresher Mike. It's amazing how quickly one can forget the fine points like the tangent intersection of nodes which was causing me the problems mentioned above. Some days I feel like I've forgotten more about this craft than I ever learned in the first place.

mtylerfl
08-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Bruce. I know what you mean...I use so many different software products, I sometimes start using procedures and shortcut keys that are for different programs. (For example, the mouse wheel zoom direction is opposite in Designer than some of my other software programs - "gets" me every time!)

cestout
08-03-2014, 07:01 PM
It does change it to a spline but the blue handles are missing. When I grab an end node and move it around, the line becomes an S curve. If I save the project and open it in 2.07 the handles are thare. I uninstalled 1.187 and reinstalled it - no change. Are any software heavies reading this?
Clint

mtylerfl
08-03-2014, 07:11 PM
It does change it to a spline but the blue handles are missing. When I grab an end node and move it around, the line becomes an S curve. If I save the project and open it in 2.07 the handles are thare. I uninstalled 1.187 and reinstalled it - no change. Are any software heavies reading this?
Clint

Hi Clint,

Please post an mpc you are seeing that problem with. I'll open it in my 1.187 and see if it does the same thing here.

If you mean "software programmers" as the "software heavies" they may or may not see this posting. However, if we can duplicate your problem, I will most certainly be happy let them know about it.

Did you already try Cntrl+h to toggle the blue handles?

SteveNelson46
08-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Clint,

You can also select "Toggle Control Points" from the view menu.

mtylerfl
08-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Clint,

You can also select "Toggle Control Points" from the view menu.

Yep. I love the shortcut keys, though.

cestout
08-04-2014, 02:56 PM
That is what I have been searching for and didn't know where to look. Tech Support sent me there before I got back here. He said "It's not broken, just go to VIEW > TOGGLE CONTROL POINTS." How did it get toggled off?
Thanks
Clint

mtylerfl
08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
That is what I have been searching for and didn't know where to look. Tech Support sent me there before I got back here. He said "It's not broken, just go to VIEW > TOGGLE CONTROL POINTS." How did it get toggled off?ThanksClint

Hi Clint,

I don't know how it gets toggled off. But, if you ever see that happen in the future, just press the Ctrl+h shortcut and it will turn them back on. (super-quicker than clicking the view menu, etc.)

cestout
08-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks MT. That is probably how they got toggled off - I am old and getting fumble fingers.
Clint

mtylerfl
08-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks MT. That is probably how they got toggled off - I am old and getting fumble fingers.Clint

Hi Clint,

I'm not absolutely sure you were the one that toggled the control points off by accidentally hitting that key combination. It could be a random thing in the software itself, but I don't know.

Please keep an eye out, and let us know if you observe they do disappear by themselves.

cestout
08-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Will do.
thanks again
Clint