PDA

View Full Version : Considering selling machine

ajmoore79
07-24-2014, 04:44 PM
I have a Carve wright version C machine that is about a year old that I am considering selling. Paid over $3000 on my original purchase. Love the machine and have made lots of great stuff with it.. I just don't use it as much and thinking of trying another hobbie.

Message me and make offer.

-Version C with less than 73hrs cut time, 86 on servos
- Has been cleaned, oiled and maintained with all recommended grease, shaft lube, dust collection, etc.
- Kept in climate controlled area and is in excellent shape.
- It is due for a $75 flex shaft because after oiling this last two times, it has a slight chatter and a little warm on a long carve. I may go ahead and replace it within a few days though. Besides the shaft, I promise you will be getting the equivalent of a new machine.
-Heavy duty traction belts
- Ordered with all top notch features at the time
- All decorative bits
-2 1/8 cutting
-2 1/6 carving bits
-2 other size carving bits - each used once. Good for faster carving.
- 2 60 degree vee bits for signs
- Dust collector (the metal one in the store) - works great on shop vac and keeps very clean
- Every software add-ons except STL importer
- Will be shipped in Original packaging
- USB Card and reader in excellent shape
- All manuals, etc.
- Scanning probe used twice and is in original box.
-I'm sure I didn't list something- so please ask.
- If you never used one of these, I'll be glad to give out my phone number and email to guide you through setup and running. But really very simple.

Thanks

Proctorw
07-25-2014, 03:00 PM
What price do you think you will be asking? Also remember the software is not transferable, so for me, I am only interested in the "Hardware" part of the machine..

Digitalwoodshop
07-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Your location might help too as you may be in someone's back yard and you can pass it over the fence... :)

ajmoore79
07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Your location might help too as you may be in someone's back yard and you can pass it over the fence... :)

I would be nice to pass it over a fence... Mobile, AL

Proctorw
07-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Well, until you post a price, it will probably stay on your side of the fence.... ;)

ajmoore79
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
I will be fine with that.

edsingletary
08-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Software cannot be transferred with a machine sold, you are kidding me. You mean LHR is going to sell it all over again for a machine being sold. I can't believe it. Is that a standard industry practice? I can't quite understand this.

CW-HAL9000
08-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Software cannot be transferred with a machine sold, you are kidding me. You mean LHR is going to sell it all over again for a machine being sold. I can't believe it. Is that a standard industry practice? I can't quite understand this.

YUUUUUP, I don't like it either and trust me it has been debated on here until the powers that be put a stop to it.

edsingletary
08-14-2014, 07:06 PM
You pay for something , it's yours. Sell it , give it away, it's yours. That's my thought. Sometimes greed gets in the way with the best of companies.

edsingletary
08-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Still having a hard time swallowing this revelation.

dbfletcher
08-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I've never bothered to carefully read the licence agreement... but it really comes down to how it is worded. If we are purchasing the software, then it almost certainly illegal to not allow us to sell or transfer the software. If on the other hand, we are only purchasing a license to use the software, then it really comes down to how the license is worded. In either case, until someone challenges it, it will probably just stay as is. As far as "industry standard practice" you definitely cant say that is true.. but I'm sure you can probably find a few examples out there of other companies doing it.

mathman
08-14-2014, 09:08 PM
From the Terms and Conditions page http://www.carvewright.com/terms-and-conditions/:

Any software (Patterns, Pattern Collections, Projects, Subscriptions or Premium Features including Designer Upgrade or additional Designer licenses) that has been activated to a customer account, will not be refundable or transferable as the code is not retrievable from the customer account.

edsingletary
08-15-2014, 06:11 AM
The phrase, license agreement, is where they get you. Well, it is what it is. So all the hundreds of dollars of patterns I bought are not mine, I'm only leasing those. Hmmmm.

CW-HAL9000
08-15-2014, 12:04 PM
consider buying your patterns from some of the other sellers many are members here and have their own websites. Those patterns are not locked and are yours. Just do not sell them to others or on ebay. Also there are some on here who will take commissions for creating patterns for you. If you pay someone to make a pattern for you then you own the pattern to do as you wish including reselling in most cases.

cestout
08-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Some people around here are in favor of "urbanizing" our rural area (I am fighting it) because it will increase their property value. Well that only matters if you are planning to sell. I built this home for retirement and plan to die here (not too soon I hope) so it's resale value doesn't matter to me. I also plan to die with my 2 CarveWrignts and all the licensed software. The licensing only is a problem if you plan to sell.
Clint

Dale
08-15-2014, 02:02 PM
I agree with Cestout. I never buy anything thinking of the resale value. When I buy it I plan on keeping it forever.

lynnfrwd
08-15-2014, 03:02 PM
consider buying your patterns from some of the other sellers many are members here and have their own websites. Those patterns are not locked and are yours. Just do not sell them to others or on ebay. Also there are some on here who will take commissions for creating patterns for you. If you pay someone to make a pattern for you then you own the pattern to do as you wish including reselling in most cases.

Let's look at this from the other direction. This is at least the way I see it:

Joe Pattern Maker creates a pattern and sells it through the Pattern Depot, where it is licensed and protected from being resold or given away (say, on an eBay disk). Each time his creation is purchased, he gets paid for it.

Now, consider, if you will...Joe Pattern Maker creates a pattern and sells it through his own site or takes a one time payment from a custom design. Now that pattern is free to anyone and Joe Pattern Maker has no way of protecting it from free distribution. He may never see another penny from his efforts.

Now to say "all the hundreds of dollars of patterns I bought are not mine" is not true...they are yours and yours to use as many times as you like, they are just not yours to sell or give away. They are Joe Pattern Makers to sell or give away.

Joe Pattern Vendor creates the pattern, uploads to website and they sit back and wait for a check.

Yes, LHR gets half of the cost of the patterns sold, but they host the website that gets THOUSANDS of visits per month, they do the advertising, they purchased the store software that displays them, they created the mechanism for insuring the creator gets compensated for their creation, they process all of the purchases, they do the accounting and process a commission check each month.

CW-HAL9000
08-15-2014, 03:39 PM
I agree for the pattern maker and seller it's a safer option although 50 50 split seems high. For the buyer not so good. I think a better solution is to tie licenses to a machine that way there's some value to the licenses and they still can't be sold on eBay or elsewhere.

CW-HAL9000
08-15-2014, 03:41 PM
I would be interested in hearing from those who have sold on both their own websites and on the pattern depot. What they're opinion of selling each way is.

lynnfrwd
08-15-2014, 03:45 PM
I agree for the pattern maker and seller it's a safer option although 50 50 split seems high. For the buyer not so good. I think a better solution is to tie licenses to a machine that way there's some value to the licenses and they still can't be sold on eBay or elsewhere.

So, if you sell an old A machine, because you just bought a new C machine, do the licenses go with the machine? Do you have to buy them all over again? Or do you both get to use them?

fwharris
08-15-2014, 04:02 PM
I would be interested in hearing from those who have sold on both their own websites and on the pattern depot. What they're opinion of selling each way is.

I sell through the pattern depot and my site. I can probably count on both hands the number of patterns I have sold through my site. I've also got some up on another site and they have not reported any sales to me (that is another story in itself). Through the depot I do get a monthly check and have done so since I have signed up as a pattern vendor. The CW site get way more traffic as expected since they are the main draw for CW users. Like Connie stated, they do all of the hosting, advertising, marketing, pattern protection and so on. I am very comfortable with my split because of this. I was a bit set back in the beginning on the 50/50 deal but like stated it does make sense.

I have seen some of my patterns posted in project files on the forum that I either sold to or gave to others to use and have had to remind them that they are not for sharing or giving away.

CW-HAL9000
08-16-2014, 10:20 PM
So, if you sell an old A machine, because you just bought a new C machine, do the licenses go with the machine? Do you have to buy them all over again? Or do you both get to use them?

That is a good point that I did not consider. Probably the best reason I have ever heard for the current licensing method.