PDA

View Full Version : Woods for outdoors - Wood Magazine

DocWheeler
07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Just saw this this morning and wanted to share.

CW-HAL9000
07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Great information, thanks.

Capt Bruce
07-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Just read through that WOOD article and chart myself this morning. Glad to see you shared it. Personal experience lately tells me Cypress is hard as the devil to carve and somewhat oily when gluing it. Suggest wiping down with acetone just before the glue step to ensure a good bond.

cestout
07-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Iroko is not on the list. It resembles teak but is not abrasive on bits. It carves great.
Clint

myshop1044
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Bruce I'm not sure what kind of cypress you are using, but the cypress I use is very soft, it's the most soft wood I have.
maybe I missed something. curious to know.

Perry B.

FWMiller
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
There are different varieties of cypress. I have some I harvested here in CA and it is about the same hardness as birch based on my non scientific assessment.

Alan Malmstrom
07-24-2014, 03:43 PM
I just bought some Catalpa wood from the hardwood store today. Here's info on it: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/catalpa/
It's supposed to be a good carving wood and good for outdoor use too. It also has a very nice grain although it's very lite weight and soft.

blhutchens
07-25-2014, 08:15 AM
I don't see mesquite,hickory,……..pecan,……..all carve well if moister content is low

unitedcases
07-25-2014, 09:48 AM
I have did a few in cypress. One has held up well. The other is separating at the grain, not the glue joint. Just carved a pretty big sign out of fir. Waiting to see how it holds up but super easy on the machine. Carved very well.

Capt Bruce
07-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Perry,
My cypress supplier (does primarily large outdoor beams and siding) gets his wood from a Florida mill and notes his is likely new growth wood. I have never checked moisture content as it is kiln dried and stored indoors but who knows. Different trees, different characteristics I guess. It does hold detail beautifully.

Underdog
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't see Sapele on the list either. It's supposed to be good outdoor wood.

I've never seen how Catalpa aged outside, but I do know that it is quite stable. I had a green wood platter made from the pith of the tree, and it warped very little. If it carves well, I wish I had gotten more...