PDA

View Full Version : Clay or wax - can they really be "probed"?

mtylerfl
02-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Hello Pkunk,

I wonder if you have any connection with someone at CW to find out specifically what type of soft-material / clay or wax can be scanned with the probe?

Since CW so clearly states that as a feature in the probe's product description, I assume it has been done before. Maybe we're missing something that they could help us out with.

mtylerfl
02-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello,

I emailed CW and asked specifically what type of clay and wax they have tested successfully for use with the probe.

Hope to get a definitive answer soon so we can start enjoying making our own models from those "soft materials"!

pkunk
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry, but I just haven't had time to try and call them. In my experience, it won't work at all well. If the probe scratches varnish & paint, breaks cured plaster, etc., it would gouge clay to the point of giving a very fuzzy scan. I won't waste my time trying.

mtylerfl
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Hello Pkunk,

I did get an answer from CW on the topic of scanning soft materials. Here's what they said...

"We have used fired clay and even when we did soft clay, it did leave small indentions, and sometimes left slight marks on plaster of paris. I do not have any brand names to give you (as our engineers do not remember exactly what they used) but I can tell you that it may leave slight impressions on softer objects.

The scanning probe will still give an accurate representation of the image even if it leaves slight impressions. The touch passes that it does are very slight- just enough to read the surface of the object. Its accuracy can go down to 1/500th of an inch. I hope this answers your questions, and if I can do anything else for you, please let me know."

pkunk
02-27-2007, 03:49 PM
From my experience, but try for yourself, the scratches left in the plaster showed up on the scan. It would I assume be more pronounced in soft clay. I have those cabinet door carvings that I can't continue to scan because it ruins the paint.

Gman_Ind
02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
If I wanted to reproduce some varnished hardwood carvings would it damage the original?

pkunk
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
If I wanted to reproduce some varnished hardwood carvings would it damage the original?
Not the wood but the varnish.

benluz
02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I scanned an item,made a quick sled of from cherry shelving(plywood)and it had a laquer finish and all around he plastic part I scanned it woked over the finish, so if you have to scan something for a customer or is good be prepared touch up ud and shoot another top coat on.
Ben

mtylerfl
02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Hello Benluz,

To avoid uneccessary scanning/probing/scratching the surface of the sled, you can manually set the maximum depth to a depth j-u-s-t barely shy of the sled surface.

I'm sure you have noticed a lot of "chattering" of the probe tip as it scoots along the sled surface. You can avoid that by setting the probe to miss the sled surface.

I elaborated on how to do this at the following post:
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15139&postcount=3

benluz
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Hello Benluz,

To avoid uneccessary scanning/probing/scratching the surface of the sled, you can manually set the maximum depth to a depth j-u-s-t barely shy of the sled surface.

I'm sure you have noticed a lot of "chattering" of the probe tip as it scoots along the sled surface. You can avoid that by setting the probe to miss the sled surface.

I elaborated on how to do this at the following post:
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15139&postcount=3

although the part I scanned was fine it was just the sled it scratched ,but if I do riase the probe that should result in less pressure on the scanned object.
Thanks !
Ben

mtylerfl
02-28-2007, 08:06 AM
although the part I scanned was fine it was just the sled it scratched ,but if I do riase the probe that should result in less pressure on the scanned object.
Thanks !
Ben

Hello Ben,

The probe pressure on the object itself stays the same, even when you set the depth of the probe to ride just above the sled's surface.

wunderkind
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
My wife has used sculpey clay - once without baking it & it did not do well; but once you bake it in the oven for a few, it works just fine. She is trying to learn how to sculpt, which is adding versus carving which is subtracting. But I got her a few carving blocks to learn. The idea is that when you spend a lot of time either sculpting or carving - you can use the carvewright to make many copies to make the money for the time it took to make the original. Have fun & bake the clay it is not to expensive.

CallNeg151
03-28-2007, 11:00 PM
My wife has used sculpey clay - once without baking it & it did not do well; but once you bake it in the oven for a few, it works just fine. She is trying to learn how to sculpt, which is adding versus carving which is subtracting. But I got her a few carving blocks to learn. The idea is that when you spend a lot of time either sculpting or carving - you can use the carvewright to make many copies to make the money for the time it took to make the original. Have fun & bake the clay it is not to expensive.
I'm waiting for my scanning probe, but that's exactly what I'm planning on using it for. Sculpey is really easy to sculpt, and mistakes are far easier to correct than with subtractive carving.