PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions - I'm thinking of making a flex shaft temperature monitor

scootertrash
07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
I threatened to do this in another thread and reckon I'm going to do it sometime soon. I'm going to use a little Arduino microprocessor to monitor the temperature of the flex shaft and make a loud and annoying sound if it exceeds some temperature (that temperature is to be determined.)

I'm looking for opinions on attaching the temperature sensor to the flex shaft. The sensor is a tiny little transistor-looking thing and I'm thinking of using a little piece of duct tape or similar to hold it on the shaft.

Think that will cause any problems with the shaft? I can't see how as long as I don't wrap the tape to some ungodly tightness. And I may put more than one one, not to mention monitor room temperature and humidity.

fwharris
07-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Maybe some hot glue??

scootertrash
07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Maybe some hot glue??

Good idea! I very recently got a hot glue gun and never think to use it.

I can even have the sensor reading the temp when I glue it LOL.

DickB
07-21-2014, 07:13 PM
I've thought of doing this too. You can purchase digital thermometers with temp probes and alarm settings at whatever temp you want; no need to build one. But frankly if the flex is sound and properly lubricated, it runs cool to the touch, and an alarm is really not necessary. But if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

Geomoo1
07-21-2014, 08:58 PM
I've thought of doing this too. You can purchase digital thermometers with temp probes and alarm settings at whatever temp you want; no need to build one. But frankly if the flex is sound and properly lubricated, it runs cool to the touch, and an alarm is really not necessary. But if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.
DickB, where might you find one of those digital thermometers with temp. probe and alarm?

brdad
07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Bear in mind if the shaft overheats, it could soften the hot glue enough so the sensor falls off. To monitor heating pipes, I have attached thermostatic probes with simple zip ties. This also ensures good coupling between the sensor and the heat source, which would be tougher to do with any glues. With the tiny zip ties, there should be no issue crushing the shaft casing yet it will hold the sensor securely.

You can get cheap-ish grill/kitchen thermometers which have settable alarm settings.
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-TruTemp-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B0001BFJ54

scootertrash
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Those little beepy alarms would never be loud enough. I have one for smoking and there's no way it would be as loud as what I have in mind. I may take the beeper out of a smoke detector.

As far as running cool to the touch, well, that's why I want to build this. I'd just as soon not have to check the damned thing every 15 minutes.

/looking for opinions about mounting it

Smoken D
07-22-2014, 09:05 AM
I thought the same thing about hot glue. When the temp got pretty warm would re-melt the glue and fall off. Maybe also connect to flashing light for a warning system along with loud audible distracting noise.

scootertrash
07-22-2014, 09:55 AM
I thought the same thing about hot glue. When the temp got pretty warm would re-melt the glue and fall off. Maybe also connect to flashing light for a warning system along with loud audible distracting noise.

I just read up on the temperature where hot glue melts. If the article is correct it melts around 300F, and that's for low temp hot glue. Did you try this and have the glue actually melt?

I like the flashing light idea a lot. If I go hog wild on this It is conceivable I could have it send a text to my phone as well lol. I'm channeling my inner mad scientist.

chief2007
07-22-2014, 10:46 AM
I just read up on the temperature where hot glue melts. If the article is correct it melts around 300F, and that's for low temp hot glue. Did you try this and have the glue actually melt?

I like the flashing light idea a lot. If I go hog wild on this It is conceivable I could have it send a text to my phone as well lol. I'm channeling my inner mad scientist.

This may work for you and it does not bust the bank either.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-D111-101-E1-WGB-Wireless-Monitor/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406043918&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+temperature+monitor

FWMiller
07-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Sometimes buying it ready to go is just not any fun. If you've got the time, have fun building it.

scootertrash
07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
This may work for you and it does not bust the bank either.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-D111-101-E1-WGB-Wireless-Monitor/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406043918&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+temperature+monitor

Thanks, but that's way more money than for what I have in mind. I already have most of the bits and pieces in the MSL*

*Mad Scientist Lab

Smoken D
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM

Never tried it on the flex shaft, just have had hot glue fail on a few occasions.

gapdev
07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm making an alarm as well.

I was just going to tape the temp probe to the flexshaft with black electrical tape.

The monitor I'm working on can be monitored from remote (it has a Web Server built in), and it will send text messages and E-Mails. It will also Pause the machine when the temperature rises above a certain level.

Now I just have to finish the darn thing. Been working on it too long!

Kenny

DickB
07-22-2014, 04:02 PM
DickB, where might you find one of those digital thermometers with temp. probe and alarm?I didn't conduct an extensive search, but here is an inexpensive one: http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/Digi_Sense_Calibrated_Alarm_and_Timer_Digital_Ther mometer/EW-90080-00?referred_id=778&mkwid=WJNeKp3x&pcrid=49849374039&gclid=CjwKEAjwl7ieBRCK2rCtqcCS7jESJACZKQFKvQfeC0Db bxdXUvLadQnkBoQodhVp1Y5jETiuNRNp3xoCxRHw_wcB I used one like it years ago that had an output to switch a device on or off - used it to charger NiCad batteries and shut off the charger when the battery pack warmed up. Sorry, don't recall where I got it.

scootertrash
07-23-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm making an alarm as well.

I was just going to tape the temp probe to the flexshaft with black electrical tape.

The monitor I'm working on can be monitored from remote (it has a Web Server built in), and it will send text messages and E-Mails. It will also Pause the machine when the temperature rises above a certain level.

Now I just have to finish the darn thing. Been working on it too long!

Kenny

Well look who's showing off! LOL, can't wait to see that. You using a Raspberry Pi for that?

I like the idea of pausing the machine. Let me guess, you're using the cover switch circuit for that?

gapdev
07-23-2014, 02:23 PM
I think the Raspberry Pi might be a bit of an overkill?

Arduino with a Lantronix XPort.

Yes, I was going to wire the Cover Switch through a relay.

Kenny

dbfletcher
07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
I think the Raspberry Pi might be a bit of an overkill?

Arduino with a Lantronix XPort.

Doesnt the cost two of those devices (Ardunio & XPort) far exceed the Rasp Pi? I started out doing everything with Arduino's until I fell in love with the Pi. Ethernet, webserver, mysql server, a ton of packages rightout of the box seems to make the PI a hands down favorite for Internet of Things (IoT) in my opinion. Only real downside is none of the gpio are buffered on the Pi. The raspberry pi and the pi face board are starting block for most of the IoT's i've made recently.

cestout
07-23-2014, 03:11 PM
I have had 3 A machines before I got my B then added a C. I have NEVER had a heating problem with my flex shafts after the 3rd lubing with Lubraplate 930AA. It takes 3 times for it to really penetrate. Of coarse I do re-lube every few months. They run barely warm. I did replace the spacer spring on the B a while back.
Clint

scootertrash
07-31-2014, 01:07 PM
My LCD displays arrived and while I was looking at how to wire them in I found this project ready to copy - displays temp and humidity with a sensor I have around the MSL somewhere. This part will be for measuring ambient temperatures and humidity.

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/PROJECT-Temp-Humidity-Display

Wiring in a temp-only sensor or two should be easy peasy.

SteveNelson46
07-31-2014, 01:18 PM
I have had 3 A machines before I got my B then added a C. I have NEVER had a heating problem with my flex shafts after the 3rd lubing with Lubraplate 930AA. It takes 3 times for it to really penetrate. Of coarse I do re-lube every few months. They run barely warm. I did replace the spacer spring on the B a while back.
Clint

I'm with you Clint. I have a "B" machine with well over 1500 cut motor hours (best guess as I haven't checked lately) and I still have the original cut motor and flex shaft. I've never had a flex-shaft over heat. Also, I've only lubed the flex-shaft maybe a half a dozen times in the last 6 years or so with the recommended lube. I do have spares just in case.

edsingletary
08-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Speaking of temps for the flexshaft, I have been working on some ideas of a cooling coil to maintain a safe temp. Not sure yet exactly how to accomplish it, but my brain is buzzing with ideas. I don't want to know if it gets hot, I want it to stay cool.

lynnfrwd
08-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Ed, flex shaft temp should NOT be an issue anymore. Use the correct lubricant and monitor it to NOT have an issue.

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2014, 10:54 AM
I do a "Pet the Snake" after the first bit cuts at bit change on a regular basis. At the first sign of any heat, I wait until it is finished and pull the flex and pull the core 1/2 way out and squirt a dime size glob of Chain Lube in the center and push it back in... Nothing special but it works for me. I believe the habbit of petting the snake and watching every bit touch is just normal operation for me. I have seen a non bit touch and have been able to stop and fix before making fire wood.

AL