PDA

View Full Version : X-Y moves after cover is opened

Larry Walker
02-26-2007, 09:27 AM
1.) When the cover is opened during a carving operation, the carriage stays down, Z motor turns off, but the X-Y axis keeps on moving for about an inch or so while the bit is still in the wood (pine). This is dangerous and the tips could break. The "work around" was to only use the STOP button on the CW control panel.

2.) I bought the CW from Sears 02/07. It came with the CD install disk version 1.113. Can't download a newer version due to the very slow 'dial-up' 4 hour or so connection. The system times out and I get only 27Mb of the 60Mb of a newer version. Can I get an updated disk with this new machine??

Thanks, Larry W.

liquidguitars
02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
You must update your firmware- look for version 1.117 and flash you card!

Firmware is not the designer software. the software you put on the flash card is what you need, an its a very small program. the firmware can be downloaded in about 5 min with a slow service

good luck!
Liq

pkunk
02-26-2007, 10:15 AM
1.) When the cover is opened during a carving operation, the carriage stays down, Z motor turns off, but the X-Y axis keeps on moving for about an inch or so while the bit is still in the wood (pine). This is dangerous and the tips could break. The "work around" was to only use the STOP button on the CW control panel.

2.) I bought the CW from Sears 02/07. It came with the CD install disk version 1.113. Can't download a newer version due to the very slow 'dial-up' 4 hour or so connection. The system times out and I get only 27Mb of the 60Mb of a newer version. Can I get an updated disk with this new machine??

Thanks, Larry W.
You need v.1.115 w/ the 1.117 firmware. Can't you get a neighbor w/ a faster connection to D/L it for you? What I used to do when on a dial up was do it at night, have my mail program ping for new mail every 5 min. to keep the connection from shutting down.

Jeff_Birt
02-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Larry

It sounds like a 'cheater plug' was left in your machine from the factory. This bypasses the front cover switch which signals to the controller that the cover is up. The rear cover switch is wired in series with the cut motor which is why it stop when you raise the cover. I've asked another user to post a picture of this plug in place so you know what to look for. The good thing is that you can probably correct the problem without having to remove the top cover.

revved_up
02-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I always wondered with the amount of sensors that fail or just get dirty and need to be cleaned what might happen if the cover sensor failed and the thing started spinning while changing a bit. *ugh* I don't even want to think about it.

Jeff_Birt
02-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Larry, here is a photo provided by Bill of a factory cheater plug left in the machine, look at the lower tight corner of teh green circuit board. You can look into the slots of the machine and, by reaching up underneath to move the gray ribbon cables out of the way, see it if was left in. There should be harness with 7 black and 1 white wires in that plug.

Larry Walker
02-26-2007, 11:41 PM
1. Thanks for the pix and text. The plug to the PCB was not seated properly.

2. Going to get DLS or better.

Thanks, Larry W.