PDA

View Full Version : My Coumpucarve experience.

RJB
02-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Normally, after doing the research I did, if the product I’m interested in buying has as many reported problems as the compucarve I would not consider it and move on. But what I saw in the capabilities of this machine I was willing to take a chance and thought I would be one of the lucky ones who would get a machine that wouldn’t have any major problems. Since I saw the first TV commercial for it about six weeks ago, I was obsessed with having one. I did my research, I downloaded the trial software, learned it and designed enough projects to keep it busy for weeks. I read the posts on the forum and visited a couple of Sears Stores. I ordered one, none of the stores I contacted had any in stock. It would take 4 weeks, but arrived in 3. I don’t remember being as excited to get something since I was a kid on Christmas eve. I prepared for the arrival. I made a place in my shop, with a new stand and different types of test wood, pine, popular and oak. I took a day off from work to get acquainted with it. I took it slow. After re-reading the manual again and set up, I tried a couple of cuts then a bevel from the keypad. All went well. I tried a small project on some pine and it went perfectly. Then I tried a sign I designed on poplar, a 2 hour project. It too went well. I was really impressed and excited. Then I tried a picture frame using oak. It was going along well when I got a message to close the cover. The cover was closed so I made sure it was clear of dust. I vacuumed the machine as I did about a half a dozen times during the course of the day. I still got the message. I would restart then as soon as the cutting bit touched to board, it would stop and I would get the “close door” message. The motor was running at a much slower speed too, didn’t sound good. After rebooting I tried another smaller simpler project. On this project I got the X axis error. I reset the machine, vacuumed and on closer examination noticed the sand paper tractors had ripped. It’s over. After three hours of running time, it was hosed.
I returned the compucarve the next day. On the way to Sears I still didn’t know if I was going to take a refund or an exchange. I do want this machine to work. It would be another 4 weeks on order, so for now I decided to take my refund.
I don’t know if the problems with this machine can be fixed in it’s current design. If they can I’m sure they will be. So I’m going to wait a few months . I’ll be reading the forum to keep up on any improvements on future releases. Hardware problems are harder to fix than Software problems.
Support needs to be improved. Every time I contacted Carvewright they have been very courteous and helpful but they are slow to return a call. As of this post, I’m still waiting on a support call. They need to add more support personnel, and they need weekend support. I would think most users would be needing support on the weekends when the machines would get used the most. I think they didn’t anticipate how popular the machine would be and are overwhelmed with calls. Another area than needs to be improved is at Sears. I knew more about the machine than the salesmen I talked to. The people at Sears were staved for information about the machine. The salesman I purchased the machine from asked me if I would come back after I used the machine awhile and give him some information. He was really interested in learning about it but couldn’t get any information from Sears. I referred him to this forum.
I believe this machine will get better as time goes on and I know I will own another. I haven’t canceled my probe order.

liquidguitars
02-26-2007, 09:51 AM
try 1.117 firmware when you pickup the new unit.
Liq

jcr642
02-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I have seen several references to getting firmware 1.117 on the forum pages. I have had a problem with my memory card, they are supposed to be sending a new one, but in the meantime, I cannot find firmware 1.117 anywhere on the CW website. I have checked the software tab. the downloads tab, and I just cannot seem to locate 1.117. Any help in finding the download? Jim

CallNeg151
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I have seen several references to getting firmware 1.117 on the forum pages. I have had a problem with my memory card, they are supposed to be sending a new one, but in the meantime, I cannot find firmware 1.117 anywhere on the CW website. I have checked the software tab. the downloads tab, and I just cannot seem to locate 1.117. Any help in finding the download? Jim

The link to it can be found in a support PDF to correct the bit plate adjustment. Go to post 2 in the troubleshooting PDF archive:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

The path is in the PDF.

The file you get is a Windows executable that will run in a DOS window, and will flash your memory card with the updated firmware.

Good luck!

The Bard
02-27-2007, 01:21 AM
1.117 has one purpose... to fix the "not finding bit" problem. That's it. It is not a complete update and it fixes no other bugs.

*edited because of content*

CallNeg151
02-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Hmmm... My messages seem to have a way of causing the next poster to blow up. I hope I'm not causing it.

The Bard: Please get some sleep. It's past midnight and you're still reading this forum. We all need you alive, and mostly sane, to guide us through the occasional (or sometimes more frequent) problems that we face. You are appreciated by most of us, and I'm sorry that a few people are driving you crazy. For future reference, however, the next time you find yourself in the position of providing tech support for a product that just makes everyone drool with anticipation, you might suggest to the Powers That Be that maybe everybody and their brother might want one upon release, and a few extra co-workers will be useful.

With that said, when I eventually need your help (as I'm sure I will at some point, hopefully nothing major), I promise to be patient.

Powers That Be: Please don't fire The Bard, even if he's cranky when he's sleep deprived. :-)

The Bard
02-27-2007, 01:39 AM

CallNeg151
02-27-2007, 01:43 AM
bah, i hardly get cranky. just being informative.

I'm sure i'll be told to delete it come morning LOL. you're right though, it's almost 2 am.. bleh. sleep is avoiding me.

Hey, sleep is for sissies. If God wanted us to sleep, he wouldn't haven't invented coffee. :-) Goodnight.

The Bard
02-27-2007, 01:45 AM

bobreda
02-27-2007, 05:56 AM
As I remember once what an old wise man told me--You'll sleep enough when you're dead!

FdxGuy
02-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Bard - I hope they don't actually fire you, nor delete the post. Dang it, does anyone who buys the first ever sub $2000 wood CNC machine really expect it to operate like their $500 planer? With support and expertise available everywhere?

What we have to respect is the approach taken to solve the problems of growth. Carvewright could have Bard write down the top 10 things he helps people fix during a call. Then they give that list of questions and answers to some outsourced hotline in #(*&!^&*. You would get someone to answer the call the first time every time!

Your call goes something like this...

"Hellow this is Michelle" (yeah right)

Bubba WoodWorker " My wood carving thingy is poking the whadda call it"

Michelle "Thank you sir, I would be happy to help you with that. Can you make sure the plug is firmly seated into the wall socket"

Bubba WoodWorker "ya mean is it plugged in?"

Michelle "Yes sir, if it would please you, please make sure the black cord is seated into the wall socket"

Bubba Woodworker, "Yeah, it's plugged in, ya think I'm a moron??"

Michelle, "Yes Sir, we would be very pleased to help you with that. Can you please turn the power switch off and then on."

Bubba, "I don't have a power problem, I told you the wood bit is poking my project when it shouldn't be. Listen, I did up the thing in Designer just like I should and everything is perfect. Now, the bit pokes my wood when it shouldn't be, it's ruined my whole project I'm doin up fer and I've ruined $500 dollars worth of wood. Can you make it stop poking my wood?"

Michelle, "Oh yes, we would be very pleased to help with that problem. After you switch the power swith on and off, please push 0 and then ....

Bubba, "Arrugh!!!!!! listen you *&%^*&^ I'm going to return this *((*&*(^ machine to Sears right now *&+^$^%$."

Of course waiting for Bard to call you back is far better.....

RJB
02-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Sorry to set you off Bard. My post was not a complaint, just my experience. Maybe I was the last straw. If the motor didn’t die or the tractors didn’t rip I wouldn’t have returned the machine. As I said in my post, I still want this machine. Maybe there needs to be a post in the announcement section or a note in the box that says “Before you use the machine the first time do the following…”. Then list some things to do like get software updates, that are not listed in the documentation. I didn’t know it didn’t come with the latest or there was a latest. As for Sears, maybe before they launch a national ad campaign, they should put together the support team needed for a venture like this one.
I’ve been writing computer software for 27 years. If you don’t get calls about your programs, then probably no one is using them. Don’t think you’ll lose your job. Why would CW shoot themselves in the foot. They need dedicated, knowledgably people like you.

LZee
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
One of the reasons I was so determined to demo the CompuCarve is because of the heavy, heavy computer/software/firmware component to the machine.

It's not your grandfather's router.

Our store is in the second largest city in Michigan---so half of our customer base is wireless and internet friendly. The other half comes from rural towns and farms, where IF they have a computer hooked up to the internet, and IF they have Windows 2000 or XP, it's strickly dialup service---which puts the 1.115 download at FIVE HOURS!

So...we stressed that you *have* to download the update in order to get the best results. Then, we showed it all, all the very basics---how to put in the memory card before you turn it on. How to turn it on, etc, how to load the bit, how it measures, how it carves, what problems we had encountered(and all about the Big Red Lever, of course)

Folks had a ton of uuestions about the computer aspect of it. I directed them to the free 30-day trial software, and stressed that you MUST do the 1.115 download before you try out the machine.

Folks think this is a plug-and-play. It's not. You have to have a fair amount of computer skills as well as wood-working skills to get the most out of it.

Did we sell a CompuCarve that day? Not a one. But I bet we prevented five guys from an impulse purchase of a 2K machine, only to bring it back in a week because they couldn't get it to work properly.

And trust me---I loathe returns. They make me break out in hives.

So, what I think you're getting a lot of, Bard, is these highly skilled, master carvers who are struggling to understand the computer aspect of it.

It's all about the learning curve, and what kind of work you're willing to put into it.

Linda
Sears Tool Consultant
MBRL
(Master of the Big Red Lever)

meat
02-27-2007, 09:29 AM
I understand if you get frustrated and simply don't want to mess with it. However, the tech support line is not the place to call and just gripe about it.

Actually, it is.

Nobody calls a tech support line to tell you how great the product is. They only call to complain, report a problem, and vent about their frustration with the product.

And you've got to empathize wth them - no matter how many times you've hear the same gripe and no matter how frustrated the customer is. Because at the end of the day, the customer is the one that ultimately pays you.

There are two words that will help you get through your day. I learned them early on in my tech support career, and they've continued to be a source of comfort every day: User Error.

The Compucarve machine is very complicated. Not everyone reads the manual. Not everyone understands the product. I don't even understand the product (but I have read the manual); I still think the Compucarve is a nice printer.

Hang in there. Treat your customers like you would anyone you're trying to get a check out of...

Your pal,
Meat.

The Bard
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM