PDA

View Full Version : i get this now and again

skeeterman
07-17-2014, 05:18 PM
get this when i open up designer 2. happens every so often not sure what it is or what causing

bergerud
07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
I believe this has to do with the preview option. If it really bothers you, you can turn if off under the help menu.

ktjwilliams
07-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Yeah I really wanted that preview portion on 2.XXX ... Never got a single preview and the system crashed every time with a similar message ... A call to tech support was made .... It was obvious that this was a common problem cause they new exactly what it was ... Their solution was to disable the feature,, DUH !!! I bought the upgrade for this feature .... A little heads up would-a been nice ... Just like a LITTLE heads up would-a been nice about 3.XXX coming out ,,, Instead of selling me 2.xxx 3 weeks before 3.xxx was to be released !!!!! Now that they have their new version out ,,, I'm sure they won't fix the preview problems on some computers in 2.XXX .....

mtylerfl
07-29-2014, 03:41 PM
I understood the crashes stop after opening Designer a few times. Apparently, it takes several 'openings' for all the previews to be generated. Did Tech Support mention this?

lynnfrwd
07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Is this a preview crash or a too many favorites files crash?

lynnfrwd
07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Steve & Kevin:

You guys missed all of the "fun" we had with this issue when 2.0 was first released.

The generation of the thumbnails can be a tedious task, especially if you have a lot, which I imagine you guys do.

Designer 2.0 must first generate a thumbnail. It will not attempt to do this until you navigate to a folder that has patterns or projects in it.

If it comes across a pattern or project that it CANNOT create a thumbnail for, it may crash. The next time it tries to resume the generation of the thumbnails, it will SKIP the now blacklisted file.

Once the system has run through creating thumbnails, crashes and blacklistings, it will become stable and you can use your File Preview. How long this will take and how many crashes depends upon how many patterns & projects you have and how many different folders you have to go through.

Set aside some time while you are watching tv or something and just let it run and restart if it crashes. Make sure you go through all folders that may have ptns or mpcs in them. Don't try to create a project, while this is taking place, it will only frustrate you.

This is assuming that your crashes are due to the generation of thumbnails.

I would also check to make sure that you ONLY HAVE ONE FAVORITES FOLDER in your pattern library. Multiples will cause it to crash. Multiple favorites folders are usually the result of not using the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR command during installation & registration when using Windows Vista, 7 or 8 operating systems. (thank you, MicroSoft!)

There are other things that can cause it to crash, but we can also figure out what that might be by looking at your cwlog file.

skeeterman
07-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure if my preview is turned on because I have been to my folder that I keep all my ptns in and projects and have never seen any thumbnail preview, so not sure if that is why I get that message, it only happens every so often , I just close it out and restart and it's gone.

mtylerfl
07-29-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure if my preview is turned on because I have been to my folder that I keep all my ptns in and projects and have never seen any thumbnail preview, so not sure if that is why I get that message, it only happens every so often , I just close it out and restart and it's gone.

You can easily find out. Click on the "Help" menu item and look to see if previews are enabled or disabled. See the screenshot below...