PDA

View Full Version : centering a pattern on project board

ekimnamyr
07-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Is there a way (I'm sure there is.) Just have not used it yet, To center a project pattern on an irregular shaped project board? I am aware that it will need to be in a jig so the machine can home itself. But can I jog the bit to a center point of board and tell the machine to make that point the center of the pattern to carve? thanks in advance for the replies, The forum is full of very helpful experts that are willing to assist. Great place to visit daily not just when you have a problem..
Mike;

henry1
07-17-2014, 12:16 PM
you can center the pattern on your project just right click and center it on both angle it,, to bad I can't get on your comp and phone same time and show you how

DocWheeler
07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Mike,
I've read your post a couple of times and still get confused.
I think that it is the use of the words "pattern", "project board", and "jog".

Patterns are used in the Designer software whereas Jog is used in
positioning the Designer's "virtual board" on the actual board in the machine.

It would help me to understand your request if you could clarify your request.
Is it about centering the pattern in Designer, centering a pattern on an irregular
cutout in the virtual board, or centering the project on the board in the machine?

ekimnamyr
07-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Ok hope this will help. I have acquired some rough cut Cyprus clock blanks, they are all strange shapes, So how do I center a pattern on a spot on the blank, Lets say I want to do a oval carve region with a scenic water fall within that carve region. How do I place the pattern on the Cyprus blank?

bergerud
07-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Make the virtual board just big enough for the pattern and then choose jog to center at the machine.

DocWheeler
07-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for adding information Mike.
What threw me was calling the carving a pattern.

Let me see if I understand what you want, I believe that you have created
something in Designer that you want to place in the center of a Cyprus blank.
If you center your pattern in the "virtual board" in Designer than all you have
to do is center that virtual board, the mpc, on the project board as you posted.
Remember that you are placing the "virtual board" on the project board rather
than placing the pattern on the project board, the pattern could be off-center
of the virtual board.

There are two ways of doing that with the Cyprus blank mounted on a sled.
One way would be to center the blank on the sled and tell the machine to "place
in center", this would put the Designer center of the virtual board in the center
of the sled.
The other way would be to mount the blank in a sled either centered or not, put
a mark where you wanted the center of the virtual board to be, and tell the machine
to "jog to position" and then "jog to center"; then use the keypad to position the bit
to the mark.

I think I am correct in what I typed.

CW-HAL9000
07-17-2014, 06:48 PM
On almost all my projects I pencil mark the center of the board or where I want the center of the carving to be, I do this because I use a sled and often use odd shaped boards.
The machine asks how to place board, I choose 2 jog to position.
It then does the "Load Bit', "Finding Bit" "Finding Surface" and then asks Jog to Project (1) Edge or (2) Center.
I choose (2) Center..
Then It has me load the carving bit and then you use the arrows to tell the machine where the center of the carving will be. I move the bit to the pencil mark I made earlier telling where the center is.
I usually write down the coordinates that show on the digital screen so that if there is an issue during the carve and I have to restart I can start from the exact same spot.
Hit enter and then the machine will center the carving on the coordinates you provided.

ekimnamyr
07-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys I have always centered projects have done square or rect. boards this will be something new ,, sounds simple enough, Of course everything is simple if you understand. Thanks again for info.