PDA

View Full Version : An AHA! moment. Time to fall back and regroup.

07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Got back from the Conference (!) and while full of enthusiasm, installed my brand new Designer 3.0, then booted it up. I started designing a new project (a universal sled) and found that the View Toolbar was lacking the toggle button for "View Grid".
Missing toggle: 70606 (the button to the left of the arrow is not View Grid but Snap to Edge (see the little yellow star in upper right corner?)

What's supposed to be there: 70607

Since it takes four mouse clicks to toggle the grid either on or off using the Layout tab in the menu bar (Layout > Snap > View Grid > OK) this slowed me down quite a bit. (Man! have I gotten lazy.) Anyway I had gotten used to just clicking the toggle button in the View Toolbar and I kept going up there first and looking for it. I was getting ready to write a nastynote to LMR programmers and was looking up the proper terminology in my manual when I noticed that the photo of the "stock" setup for 1.187 did not have the "View Grid" toggle either. But the one on my computer did. Hmmmmm. Then I vaguely remembered a loooooong time ago I used the "Customize" option when right clicking the toolbar and added that toggle to the toolbar. I was just fooling around clicking on things like I usually do with new software, just to see what pops up and I found this capability. Guess what. 3.0 has that same capability. Right click the toolbar, click customize, click View Toolbar on the dropdown list and scroll down the list of Available Items to Toggle Grid Lines and click-and-drag it over to the left side > click OK, and I now have the toggle button for grid lines.

I'm having the same problem with Designer that I had with Photoshop. I've been doing it so long that I have fallen into habits of using the same tools over and over again instead of learning new ways and new tools. It takes time and effort to keep learning and it is much too easy to fall back on known things and habits. But you won't learn any new songs unless you pick up some new sheet music. I need to go back and read the manual again and watch all the tutorials again and reinforce all those things I knew once but have forgotten ... and maybe learn some new stuff too!

mtylerfl
07-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Good to remind folks of the Menu Customization feature. The info on that was included in a Tips & Tricks I wrote about 6 years ago. Easy for new folks to miss.

Here is the link to the Tips & Tricks article (the Menu Customization info is on page 3):

Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights – ISSUE 12 September 2008 (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Sept08.pdf)