PDA

View Full Version : Sled Question

Foggycarver
07-13-2014, 10:25 AM
I haven't used sleds much but now have some pretty expensive wormy chestnut I don't want to waste. My project is 21" long and 9-3/4" wide and 3/4" thick. My question is in designer do i have to include the thickness of the sled? For example now with no sled it's 3/4" but when using a sled do i have to put 1.5" thickness in designer?

unitedcases
07-13-2014, 10:28 AM
I haven't used sleds much but now have some pretty expensive wormy chestnut I don't want to waste. My project is 21" long and 9-3/4" wide and 3/4" thick. My question is in designer do i have to include the thickness of the sled? For example now with no sled it's 3/4" but when using a sled do i have to put 1.5" thickness in designer?
You can leave the thickness 3/4. That's the trick to doing cutouts in a sled.

mtylerfl
07-13-2014, 12:37 PM

The following Tips & Tricks article may be helpful:

Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights – ISSUE 12 September 2008 (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

Although the article specifically addresses the scenario for cutting out thin stock when using a Carrier Board jig, the basic principle of setting board thickness when using any type of sled for any board thickness is the same. (You don't set the project thickness by adding the sled and board thickness together - rather, you simply set the real board thickness and ignore the sled thickness.)