PDA

View Full Version : Hot to use th Trim Tool?

cestout
07-12-2014, 03:16 PM
How do you use the trim tool? I can't fine any instructions.
Clint

fwharris
07-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Select the trim tool and then place the mouse pointer on the line that you want to remove.

ladjr
07-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Didn't even know the trim tool was there. that is so cool.

LHR should do a couple of tools each month. Explain in detail and then get input. Great customer involvement tool

cestout
07-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks! Leo, he Tim Tool has been there for a long time, I have just never needed it.
Clint

mtylerfl
07-13-2014, 03:18 PM
How do you use the trim tool? I can't fine any instructions.
Clint

Hi Clint and Leo,

I created a video tutorial on the 2D Suite Drawing tools about a year or so ago. The link below takes you to the video. At about 6:40, it begins the Trimming Tool tutorial section. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/vector-drawing/

cestout
07-14-2014, 06:49 PM
That was very informative. Now, if I were going to modify the traced pear with the 3D stuff, how would I get the blossom end dimple in the pear? Can it be done?
Clint

mtylerfl
07-14-2014, 07:01 PM
That was very informative. Now, if I were going to modify the traced pear with the 3D stuff, how would I get the blossom end dimple in the pear? Can it be done?
Clint

For that type of design/carve technique, I think I would just draw small vectors (a small "starburst' of three or four short curved lines maybe) and assign a v-bit like the other vectors.

Alternatively, you could draw a small ellipse and make it a shallow inverted dome that would be raster carved instead of assigning a v-bit.

cestout
07-15-2014, 06:30 PM
After I posted the question I thought, I cluld just make a pear in Skulptris. I am trying to learn hot to use it and am impressed. I needed the trim tool to make an exact octogon. The program will not let me make lines at 22.5 deg, so I can't use the intersecting lines and circle trick. Strange, because in labeling it does show fractional degrees.
Clint

bergerud
07-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Designer will make segments at 22.5 degrees. (Would you not want 45 degrees for an octagon?) Make a horizontal segment and then right click - orientation - set angle. If you use a snap grid, you can connect all the segments together by moving the vertices to snap points as you go around.

mtylerfl
07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Right...that confused me too, why you couldn't get the 22.5 angle. I just drew a quick triangle (with the 22.5 degree angle) as well as a perfect octagon.

If you need further help or explanation, I'm sure there are several of us who can help you with that.

bergerud
07-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Maybe he wanted an octagon on its tip.

cestout
07-16-2014, 06:04 PM
With the point at the top is easy, but it is accross the grain and prone to bread off (thin box lid). MT's triangle method is a good way, but I have the constraint tat all siese need to be equil length so the lid can go on any way - not inhibited directionally. I ended up drawing a circle and tangent 4" lines. I fiddled with that setting all angles to 135 and all lines to 4". When I got it right, I shaped it with a sweep and saved it as a pattern. I am working an a octagonal "jar" along the lines of the Queen and Princes boxes. Only this will have the have the inside of the sides carved as well so the thin basket weave is in the center of each of the 8 sides. It will have a thin lid withe a braided handle. If I can make all that work.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Clint

bergerud
07-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Why did you need 22.5 degrees if you wanted the sides parallel to the board?

SteveNelson46
07-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Maybe I missed something here. Wouldn't it just be easier to draw an octagon in Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw and import as a .dxf?

cestout
07-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe if I had those programs and DXF importer. Very limited budget.
Clint