PDA

View Full Version : test center line text w/o v bits using 3.0

myshop1044
07-10-2014, 08:40 AM
At he conference I was told that the center line text feature could be used using bits other than the standard "V" bits.
I am testing out that feature and when I selected several other bits, 1/16, 1/8 carving bits, 1/8 cutting bits. 3/16 cutting bits,
the display is very light and hard to read. If you get real close in and look at the text there appears to little dog ears on most of the letters
and not a neat straight line that I was trying to get.
Has anybody tried this feature out yet or am I the only one trying this out.
In the 2.0 manual it talks about the center line text and mentions the "V" bit not the option to use other bits.
any comments or observations on this feature would be great.
please see attached and feel free to try a fix for this option.
Perry B.

SteveNelson46
07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
At he conference I was told that the center line text feature could be used using bits other than the standard "V" bits.
I am testing out that feature and when I selected several other bits, 1/16, 1/8 carving bits, 1/8 cutting bits. 3/16 cutting bits,
the display is very light and hard to read. If you get real close in and look at the text there appears to little dog ears on most of the letters
and not a neat straight line that I was trying to get.
Has anybody tried this feature out yet or am I the only one trying this out.
In the 2.0 manual it talks about the center line text and mentions the "V" bit not the option to use other bits.
any comments or observations on this feature would be great.
please see attached and feel free to try a fix for this option.
Perry B.

Perry,

Depth is determined by the geometry of the bit. For example, how deep does the 1/2" ball nose need to go to fill the space between the lines? In the case of the 1/16" carving bit, it will never fill the space so I don't know how the program will interpret it.

mtylerfl
07-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Although it's true you can opt to select bits other than a V-bit for Centerline Text, my theory is that it would be seldom that a ballnose bit would perform Centerline Text as well as a V-bit can. Depends on the font, depends on the letter sizes, depends on whether there are sharp internal corners or rounded corners, and it depends on the geometry of the bit. Some experimenting would be in order to find the right combination of font, text size and "suitable" alternative bit.

A rounded font, such as Swis721 BlkRnd BT will probably do better with a ballnose bit than fonts with sharp internal corners. Sharp corners + ballnose makes those dog ears at each sharp corner area.

myshop1044
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks both of you for your comments, the center text function does not give you depth setting, it uses the V bit setting.
Michael where do you fine the Swis721 BlkRnd BT font, I looked in 1001 free fonts and came up with nothing.

mtylerfl
07-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks both of you for your comments, the center text function does not give you depth setting, it uses the V bit setting.
Michael where do you fine the Swis721 BlkRnd BT font, I looked in 1001 free fonts and came up with nothing.

It's on both my main computers...perhaps it came with CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator...or some other graphics program. I think there is a rounded Arial font too (I don't have that one, but you might). Try any sans-serif font with rounded corners. I'm sure there are free ones available.

bjbethke
07-11-2014, 05:19 PM

This should work??