PDA

View Full Version : Help please

unitedcases
07-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Everyone,

Reaching out for someone to give me a hand. Or in this case a lot of help. I have a project I want to do but have never attempted this. At my squadron there is an officer that I worked for time and time again, and respect very much. Upon this last return home from Afghanistan his family learned his 4 year old daughter has cancer. It's definitely an uphill battle for her and all of them. I have been racking my brain on how to help. We have bought shirts from their organization to sponsor but wanted to do something a bit beyond monetary. So I thought of a litho pane. I have seen all the ones that all of you have done but have no idea what to buy or how to even begin. I see people talk about settings and the such and have a hard time keeping up. She started chemo and subsequently lost her hair, but before that her family had nice professional photos made. I would think they would have digital but I dared not ask til I reached out here first. I tried to assume I knew what to do, how to build the box, back lighting and so on and so forth but have no clue. Not asking for anyone to do any work other than answer my questions, walk the dog so to speak. I look forward to any and all help. And I am much appreciative.

Thank you.

Dale
07-05-2014, 08:27 PM
I have found that Lithopanes are about the easyist thing to carve and have turn out nice, you just need a good picture to start with. I use the settings found in the Tips and Trick for Lithopanes and use 1/4" 5 x 7 corian that I got from sanjacstuff@live.com. His prices are good and he ships fast. Michael's has several types of shadow boxes that work nicely. I like the wood grained one that is about 2 1/2" thick and I use a LED light strip with a 12V power supply. PM me if you want more info on how I set the lighting up.

Good luck!

Canemaker
07-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Any picture will do. You don't have to have the best digital image to start. Just remember the larger the better, you can always downsize a picture, but it's next to impossible to get a good enough image from a thumbnail picture.

The first image I carved into a lithophane was a photograph that my mother had in black & White. It actually was a picture of me and three of my siblings sitting on Santa's lap in 1964. This picture was taken at Sears & Roebuck by the Sears Christmas Photographer and ran in the local newspaper in 1964. The image was carved at the size of a 5 x7 x 1/2" thickness. I didn't have any 1/4" corian at the time and did all my carvings out of 1/2". I personally feel that there is a difference between 1/2 and 1/4 inch corian lithophanes and haven't decided which I perfer.

I made a light box out of 1/4 inch walnut with a hinged top. When you open the top of the light box, I placed a mirror on the back panel to help deflect the light onto the image and cut a hole in the top to allow any heat to escape and a hole in the bottom to place the cord. I used an $15 led bulb from Lowes (also use Home Depot) and the Portfolio Candelabra Base Switch Cord. It has a spring clip to hold in place in the bottom of the light box and a built in switch. I spoke with an electrician friend of mine that informed me that if I wired the light myself, I could be held liable. So I always lean towards being responsible and safe, since I don't know much about electricity. Others can probably and do make their own wiring and led lights, I only wish I had that inspiration and knowledge.

I made the lithophane light box so that the lithophane slides into the front of the box between the two sides which have a 1/4" slot -- 1/4" from the front of the box. This was made so that different lithophanes could be rotated throughout the year depending upon the occasion. ie. Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgving, Mardi Gras,. etc. Best intentions never seem to come true, but it is the thought that really counts.

Although, this was my first lithophane carving, I feel that it was executed well and turned out beautifully. My parents have this on display through-out the year, even thou it only shows four of their seven children. Three more came after 1965. I don't have any pictures of this project, although I can go over and get some if interested. I will email them to you if you want them.

I have found out the hard way not to skew the picture in designer because it also carves that way... resize before importing. What designer programs do you have? I have found that PE was helpful when fixing problems, background, etc.

I have been working on a special project for the past two years of taking lithophanes to a whole new level... If I can ever get it out of my brain and off the paper to actually produce, I'll post the project. Chris L. gave me the inspiration at the conference two years ago and I haven't found the time to produce it, but it will change everything.

unitedcases
07-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Any picture will do. You don't have to have the best digital image to start. Just remember the larger the better, you can always downsize a picture, but it's next to impossible to get a good enough image from a thumbnail picture.

The first image I carved into a lithophane was a photograph that my mother had in black & White. It actually was a picture of me and three of my siblings sitting on Santa's lap in 1964. This picture was taken at Sears & Roebuck by the Sears Christmas Photographer and ran in the local newspaper in 1964. The image was carved at the size of a 5 x7 x 1/2" thickness. I didn't have any 1/4" corian at the time and did all my carvings out of 1/2". I personally feel that there is a difference between 1/2 and 1/4 inch corian lithophanes and haven't decided which I perfer.

I made a light box out of 1/4 inch walnut with a hinged top. When you open the top of the light box, I placed a mirror on the back panel to help deflect the light onto the image and cut a hole in the top to allow any heat to escape and a hole in the bottom to place the cord. I used an $15 led bulb from Lowes (also use Home Depot) and the Portfolio Candelabra Base Switch Cord. It has a spring clip to hold in place in the bottom of the light box and a built in switch. I spoke with an electrician friend of mine that informed me that if I wired the light myself, I could be held liable. So I always lean towards being responsible and safe, since I don't know much about electricity. Others can probably and do make their own wiring and led lights, I only wish I had that inspiration and knowledge.

I made the lithophane light box so that the lithophane slides into the front of the box between the two sides which have a 1/4" slot -- 1/4" from the front of the box. This was made so that different lithophanes could be rotated throughout the year depending upon the occasion. ie. Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgving, Mardi Gras,. etc. Best intentions never seem to come true, but it is the thought that really counts.

Although, this was my first lithophane carving, I feel that it was executed well and turned out beautifully. My parents have this on display through-out the year, even thou it only shows four of their seven children. Three more came after 1965. I don't have any pictures of this project, although I can go over and get some if interested. I will email them to you if you want them.

I have found out the hard way not to skew the picture in designer because it also carves that way... resize before importing. What designer programs do you have? I have found that PE was helpful when fixing problems, background, etc.

I have been working on a special project for the past two years of taking lithophanes to a whole new level... If I can ever get it out of my brain and off the paper to actually produce, I'll post the project. Chris L. gave me the inspiration at the conference two years ago and I haven't found the time to produce it, but it will change everything.
Good point cane maker. I forgot to mention I have 1.187 and I do have pattern editor. Sounds like I need to read that tips and tricks first and foremost.

Canemaker
07-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Michael Tyler posted a great tutorial on making lithophanes back in 2009 that still applies today. Go to www.carvebuddy.com and look under the "Learning Center" tab and scroll down to - Issue 16 January 2009 "Lithophane Carving 101"... read, study, and re-read.... great tutorial and I would recommend this being your first step into the introduction into who, what, and how.

Canemaker
07-05-2014, 10:01 PM
I also only have 1.187 and pattern editor and have produced numerous lithophanes in various sizes, shapes and subjects. PM if you have any questions.
I enjoy making lithophanes and seeing reaction of others. I have given several away for widows that have lost their spouse. Every time I see them they want to share their experience and joy when they see their lithophane usually displayed in a window with everyone around.

unitedcases
07-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Doesnt seem too difficult. So I want to stick with 1/4", and build a sled. Easy enough. I read the tips and tricks, the only thing I didnt see mentioned was bit optimization and draft, should I use either of those? Lastly, white corian?

Dale
07-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I use bit optimization best and no draft. White or Glacier white works good. I like Bone the best, gives a yellowish tint but I have not been able to find it lately

unitedcases
07-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Appreciate all your help dale. Should have the picture tomorrow. Now just need to make time to do it. What about sanding? Just 3m bristle disc it like everything else? Clean it up lightly in other words? And lastly carve setting, I usually use best. Will that work? Because of the size I thought maybe optimal?

fwharris
07-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Appreciate all your help dale. Should have the picture tomorrow. Now just need to make time to do it. What about sanding? Just 3m bristle disc it like everything else? Clean it up lightly in other words? And lastly carve setting, I usually use best. Will that work? Because of the size I thought maybe optimal?

Very little if any sanding is needed on corian or acrylic as the do not fuzz up like wood. I would suggest optimal carve quality so the bit does not have to work so hard and make sure you use a good sharp bit.

Dale
07-06-2014, 10:45 AM
My mistake, must have been half asleep last night when I said use best I meant optimal. I've never sanded one that's what I like about them once they are carved they are done ,no finishing required.

Canemaker
07-06-2014, 11:40 AM
I totally agree with Dale, when carving corian no sanding is needed although a small dental tool is useful to help scrap out the areas that got caked up with debris that my dust collector didn't vacuum up. However, I use a quality setting of NORMAL when carving anything in corain and it turns out great.

unitedcases
08-10-2014, 03:36 PM
A few more questions then I think I will have a finished product. Thanks to dale I am almost done. I can't figure out how to adhere or make the Corian stay in the shadowbox. Also, the Corian is smaller than the window of the shadowbox and there is light coming around it. Anyone ever had those problems?

Dale
08-10-2014, 03:39 PM
I just sent you an email

CW-HAL9000
08-10-2014, 04:14 PM
I am not sure what kind of lightbox you are using. I use a 5x7 shadow box from Michaels. I remove the glass and cut the corian to the same size as the glass I removed. The corian then fits snugly into the light box. I use a few dabs of hot melt glue on the inside to hold it in place. the ridge from the shadow box with the rabbit cut into it for the glass is enough to keep light from coming around the edges.

unitedcases
08-10-2014, 10:48 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/ajenugut.jpg

Pretty pleased with it. I used some thin sapele I had laying around and just wedged it in behind the Corian. Filled the gaps and held it in place.

karns.steve
08-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Finally a little time to catch up on the forum, beautiful work UnitedCases. I'll be in touch