PDA

View Full Version : STL patterns

aokweld101
07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I've been trying for awhile and still don't understand the stl... I would think if you have the programs you should be able to make something as simple as a bowl in my attachments is what I thought might work and the the attachments goes right to left.. first I made the bowl the bowl is 2.25 thick when I made it...then made the pattern in the pattern editor ... then imported to the STL files wanting to make three slices to make the bowl... I must be missing pushing some buttons or it can't be done... Could someone tell me if it can be done or if I need to push more buttons ?... Anything to help me grasp this would greatly be appreciated...

blhutchens
07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
are you checking the box on the right when you save the slice patterns?
that will make the pattern for the back side of the slice

aokweld101
07-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I've been missing around trying to get this pattern ....At what part do you put the thickness of the board... when first making making the bowl do you use the .75 thickness or 2.25 .... or when making the pattern editor .....or the working size in STL slicing the pattern... and what point do you turn off the feather tool.... I'm getting closer to getting it !!!--- I have watched the tutorial on the stl the only thing they show you is how to slice... but it doesn't show you what steps you need to make a pattern and import it to the STL... maybe someone will step up to the plate and make a tutorial on this instead of a person trying to stumble on to the right buttons... That would be a great asset ....

lynnfrwd
07-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Our software doesn't create stl format. They are created in a third party software or found on Internet by searching free stl. Some stls are better than others for slicing.

bergerud
07-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Our software doesn't create stl format.

The PE does create input to the STL Importer which can then be saved as STL.

lynnfrwd
07-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Yes, with PE and STL Importer, you can export to STL, but it is not a true 3d modeling program.

liquidguitars
07-05-2014, 07:13 PM
The PE does create input to the STL Importer which can then be saved as STL.

That's right Designer is the modeling program and STL is the saving protocol...

liquidguitars
07-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes, with PE and STL Importer, you can export to STL, but it is not a true 3d modeling program.

Actually Designer with PE are modeling programs that generate STL's via displacement maps in PE by PE's "polygon generator" that can be looked at in just about any 3D program barring the " Back " however the back side is also used making it full 3D. :) People get STL mixed up all the time.

liquidguitars
07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
first I made the bowl the bowl is 2.25 thick when I made it...

I think what happened is the bowl you made did not " Cap" and made a void of color zero " this happens to me a lot" try the bowl again this time make sure you don't see a void in PE, then save to STL and cut.

It should look like Blhchens example.

aokweld101
07-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I was told this by Dan,(Bergerud) months ago................ I have a hard head, I was hearing but wasn't listening, I was hoping that I could do it this way without learning some other program it, looks as much as I don't want to learn another program I'm going to have to learn a cad program if I want to progress on the carvewright, is there a cad program for dummies someone can point me to..... Thanks for all the replies back...

blhutchens
07-05-2014, 09:54 PM
you may be takin too much on at once
play around with importing stl files already made and slicing them up until you get it.

I did not realize you were creating in designer, saving as a pattern, then exporting as stl

Brent