PDA

View Full Version : Operating temperatures

Sarge
02-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Somewhere, I read that this machine should be ran in temperatures 60-100 degrees. My dilemna is..... I live in the Great Northwest, it doesn't get 60 degrees here until about June and my workshop is in an unheated garage. Anyone here have some technical insight into this issue??? :rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I am in the same boat here in PA. I leave the heat on in my shop set to 50 at night, because I have other electronic equipment in the shop and I insulated the shop very well.

The problem you will have is condensation on your Carve Machine when you raise the temp of the unit after a night in the shop. Also the computer, keypad, and lubrication will not like the cold temperature. This is a finely tuned piece of Electronic Equipment, the position equipment will not react well with the cold.

Use the Search for "shop heat" and you will find suggestions from light bulbs to small heaters with your unit in a small enclosure until or box inside your garage until your garage heats up.

Do you have the basement option? At least for the winter?

Good Luck

AL

Cliff
02-25-2007, 07:51 PM
I use a portable fuel heater. Fire it up just prior to cutting to bring the temp up, I vent the garage by cracking the garage door about one inch. The temp may have something to do with the lubes on the different parts of the machine.

Cliff

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 07:54 PM
I was looking back but didn't find it there was a post by several including pkunk about this very topic. But I couldn't locate it. I'm sure when he logs on he'll remember the string or where it was.

I recall a suggestion of storing it in a cupboard and the use of a light- I think Greybeard had input on it as well. I poodled out and put mine in my basement in the furnace room- we just done with -19 weather, I wasn't going to risk it.

Julie

pkunk
02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I heat my 30 x 50 shop with wood. It gets down into the 40-50 range at night and I warm it up every morning. Never a problem with the CW if I wait until the temp has been over 55 for awhile. The probe on the other hand requires much warmer conditions.
Old site w/ the shop-- http://www.fone.net/~pkunk/handcrafted/Home.html

HerbO
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
The cold snap is hopefully over here. The highs were in the teens for over a month. The shop is 14' x 28' and I have a propane heater that I would lite a couple of hours before carving. It would be 55 to 60 degrees. No problems with condensation and the CW has craved with no problems.

HerbO

beowulfkaine
12-27-2012, 12:17 AM
This happened to me today, it was about 35' outside and I went to use my machine and the crank wouldn't come down, I was so pissed I thought it was broken, then tonight I came across this:

DOH!!!! Exactly what was happening to me.

henry1
12-27-2012, 12:49 AM
These machine don't like the cold bring it in the house

ladjr
12-27-2012, 02:18 AM
That is very interesting about temperature. Living in Las Vegas I have never had to deal with the cold just mainly the heat in the summer . However this year it has been colder and I have notice the machine is slow until it warms up.

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

chief2007
12-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Yes the Cold can be a big problem - I have a radiant heater in my shop for this very reason. 27 degrees this morning here in Texas. So heat is on and I am waiting with coffee in hand for things to warm up.

Digitalwoodshop
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
What ever happened to the first poster of this thread? Sarge? no posts since 2010...

Yes, I let my machine Shiver in the cold wood shop.... I heat the shop before using it.... I have a Direct Vent LP Heater.

I was walking the dog tonight in the COLD and I had a thought.... "When I can pull it off.... (Someday...) I am going to become a Snow Bird..... This cold is for the Birds.... Brother is in West Palm Beach.....

AL

bjbethke
12-27-2012, 06:36 PM
This happened to me today, it was about 35' outside and I went to use my machine and the crank wouldn't come down, I was so pissed I thought it was broken, then tonight I came across this:

DOH!!!! Exactly what was happening to me.

You have your machine in deep freeze storage mode, I does not effect my machine in storge - I fire up my WOOD burner (ALL the trials stuff), but you need to have some heat in your wood shop to bring it up to about 60 degrees- depends on how much solid grease you use to lube your unit. I use a silicon base lube. Don't over do it, an excess can drip on your carvings --- that can play HELL on your paint JOB!!!